Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Ditching the MTB for full time roading
  • hora
    Free Member

Sell the MTB in late September. It wont lose anything/more. Enjoy the Summer on your mountain and road bike and enjoy Autumn/Winter on your road bike. Revisit in Spring 2013.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Made the switch back in 1999. Got rid of an Orange clockwork, ‘dale tandem. Made sense at the time as i started to compete and enjoy training with our local Tri club. Training was easier, no need to drive to the start of any rides, easier bike maintenance, attained a greater fitness by far than i had ever done on the MTB.

Lasted about 6 years before I just became bored with it all and didnt ride for a few years.

Last year bought an Orange R8 pro and a Saracen Tufftrax for my lad and regained my love for the dirt.. Have the road bikes hanging up collecting dust in the garage,… I plan to get back to the road, but not at the expense of the MTBing. Its probably because that i throw myself at anything i do with such a blinkered focus, to the detriment of everything else, and find myself feeling stale and wanting something different. Gotta mix it up a bit to really appreciate both IME.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation to you a couple of years ago. I joined a club to help improve fitness and they were predominately road based.

At the time I was riding an aluminium Bianchi 1885 but wanted to upgrade to carbon. Thought about selling my mountain bikes for the same reason to fund the new bike but in the end I decided against it.

Two years later I still mainly ride road but I now also race mountain bikes. The road bike still takes precedence over the mountain bike but it’s nice to have it there for when the trails are dusty and warm.

So glad I didn’t sell it. In fact since then I have bought a carbon race bike. 😀

hora
    Free Member

I’m lucky to live 40mins from the Peaks with a decent/enjoyable drive there/back for 50% of the journey which makes it worthwhile. If I had to drive say 1hr+ every weekend over to Wales or the Lakes though I’d honestly sack it off. Occasional- definitely worth it but I can’t see the point in driving upto 2hours+ just to ride a trail centre every weekend. The hassle v enjoyment factor is lost especially when you have kids. You don’t see them during the week and then at the weekend your away from them.

Dolcered

I hardly touch the mtb now. I get more satisfaction from road biking and tbh less trips to A&E.

I won’t sell my mtb though. makes a good coat hangar on the turbo trainer.

oddjob
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden my MTB yet this year, but I wouldn’t consider selling it. I generally ride the road, but once in a while you get an urge or an invitation to get out on the trails and it would be a shame to not be able to go.

It probably wouldn’t pay to sell the mtb so just let it gather dust until you’re in the mood again

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sick puppy.

kaesae
    Free Member

😯 😆

slowclimb
    Free Member

Exactly the same here a few years ago!
    I had kids found MTbing just took up too much time so got a road bike. Truth be told I love road biking, an hours road biking can be a good 20 mile ride if you give it a bit of batter batter but an hour for mountain biking and I can still be looking for my camelbak at the end of it.
    If you can try everything you can to keep the MTB too though. I kept mine, bought another since too, and now as my kids are a bit older do a fair bit of both. Even bought a cross bike now which is great as I can do a bit of both on it.
    I went from road biking a bit to triathlon to time trialling, I love them all…well maybe not triathlon so much!

HermanShake
    Free Member

MTBtfu

As said, sell the Orange and build/buy. Your daughter will grow up and need less time, don’t let a short term change in lifestyle affect something I imagine you enjoy a fair bit.

That seems a long/expensive/inconvenient way to go to get a ride in, is there really nothing closer? Also, does night riding help you get more in?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I still pine for some big mountain riding, so won’t ditch my MTBs, but this last few months have been about the road bike. The road bike allows me to get a lot more out of a spare hour or two than the MTB. I’ve also seen a lot more fantastic and new countryside on my road bike than I could manage on my MTB without having a significant car journey first. Something to bear in mind is that my road bike cost £250 nearly 12 years ago; it’s definitely a better value sport if you can resist the bling.

It does pain me to know there’s a substantial amount of money hung on my bike rack doing very little though.

binners

I bought a road bike last year. I tried. I really did. I thought to myself that there must be something in it. Surely not all roadies are utterly humourless, joyless automatons dressed as burst black puddings? Surely?

Dear God! The shear yawn-inducing, spirit-crushing, mind-numbing tedium of it?! The only remotely interesting bit is when some nob in a beemer or a white van actively tries to kill you. And that’s not much of a recommendation, is it?

It was quickly sold to fund another hardtail which is approximately 657,987,962,532 times more interesting and fun 😀

But if that’s what floats yer boat… see ya. Have fun. Oh… sorry… that’s not really the point, is it?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve always found selling bikes that you bought new not to be worth it. I might get £500 for any of mine, but they are worth a lot to me even if I don’t ride them a lot currently. Would cost a lot more than their resale value to replace them with anything comparable. They are there when I need them.

hora
    Free Member

I dunno around Calderdale – just (brief) descending down roads on your mountain bike is fun. I can easily see why a full road descent at speed would be hugely enjoyable.

warton
    Free Member

I got a road bike 3 years ago to train for a triathlon, about a year later sold my Trek Fuel frame, and built up a very nice 456. sold it 6 months later having ridden it once, or maybe twice. I’m a fully fledged roadie now, 250km a week, love it.

BUT, recently I have been thinking about an MTB race bike, maybe a boardman on C2W, just to see how fast I’d be after 3 years without an MTB.

The way I look at it, I’ll always have diffeent bikes, and be into different types of riding at different times, if you do go all roadie, and decide you don’t like it, it’s easy enough to go back to MTB

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Have fun. Oh… sorry… that’s not really the point, is it?

When road riding stops being fun I’ll do something else. It’s not for everyone I’m sure, but I guess a lot of it is down to the roads you get to ride on. I ride on quiet, relatively traffic-free, lanes in beautiful countryside. I often see fewer people on my road rides than on an average MTB weekend ride in the Derwent Valley.

supercyril
    Free Member

Sell the filling cabinet frame, then buy 1 MTB and 1 road carbon frame from those nice fellas in china through eBay. Job done! I am about 90% road to MTB now due to family commitments and time restraints but it’s worth keeping for that 10%.

meehaja
    Free Member

I ride predominantly road now, mostly due to injury (broken scaphoid made me buy a road bike (well, CX) in the first place and now my shoulder injury means I’m riding a lot of road) but also becuase my riding mates either don’t ride any more or have become “gnarly to the power of rad” DHers and I’m really more of an xc mincer, without the fitness!

I made a concious decision and sold my Patriot and 456 and bought an Orange p7, built it up as a do it all bike and spent more money on road bike bits.

I still love mountain biking, but it has become something I do from time to time rather than the road bike which I ride every day pretty much.

Its all riding and I enjoy all, but I’m riding more road at the moment. Perversly, before dislocated my shoulder I was riding a lot more mtb, and was covering good distances 2 or 3 times a week.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Has anyone made the jump permanently? Have you regretted it?

Why do people feel the need to post this sort of stuff? You’re only riding a different bike, its not likley to be life changing and bring a life full of regrets.

binners

It might be if you’re a bloke, over the age of 30 and decide suddenly that bright lycra is a good idea. Lets be brutally honest here. Its only one step removed from a leotard 😆

hora
    Free Member

Its all good. Once on holiday in Ibiza I borrowed someones old bicycle and went for a leisurely ride. It wasn’t gnarly or fast, just relaxed and fun 🙂

….and no binners I wasn’t on dance biscuits or hoovering Sherbet at the time 😆

binners

Did you have your Speedos on though?

cupra
    Free Member

Must be the season for it as my last mtb is currently on ebay. I do have the mtb that I got for my 21st birthday but that is kept for sentimental reasons. I haven’t put a leg over an mtb since september but have done loads of commuting and road miles (for me). I still have a cx bike for mixed riding but mtbing involves driving somehwere which is riding time used up.

hora
    Free Member

If I was a ‘shower’ I’d wear Speedo’s EVERYWHERE.

So the answers no.

loddrik
    Free Member

Only nonces ride only road…

I laugh everytime I see a roadie, they take themselves far too seriously…

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m in a similar situation but won’t get rid of the mtb, but I do always consider getting rid of the full sus. Live about 45 minutes drive away from the nearest good trails which are Woburn, I try to get there on my days off depending on the weather. I enjoy road biking but it’s nothing compared to a good mtb ride.

Kind of see road riding as fitness rather than fun, though there’s something great about gliding through country roads on a still summers day. But as I ride DH/FR I don’t get the same adrenaline rush from road riding, and so I’ll probably be getting a bmx soon to make use of the great skateparks and dj spots we have around here..

rossi46
    Free Member

Ditching the MTB for full time roading

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Ditching the MTB for full time roading’ is closed to new replies.