• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by SST.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • District 9
  • organic355
    Free Member

Watched it last night and still havnt made my mid up whether it was a pile pants or actually quite good. It kept me entertained for 1.5 hrs and I didnt turn it off, so it cant of been that bad, although there were points near the beginning where I considered it. What did you lot think of it?

Also was the main character actually irish/Scottish? or is that how south africans swear? Foook!!!

rOcKeTdOg

It kept me entertained for 1.5 hrs and I didnt turn it off

there's your answer, it's not meant to change the way you live your life, but it did achieve it's intended purpose

it's an afrikaans accent afaik ***** prawns, they have no aspirations!*

ollie
    Free Member

I thought it was different to all the other sci-fi films of late but in a good way, very strong hints towards racism which was done nicely.
    I went to the cinema to watch it and a few people did walk out in the first half hour and didn't really give it a chance.

Also was the main character actually irish/Scottish? or is that how south africans swear? Foook!!

Yeah that got me as well, made me chuckle.

MSP

It kept me entertained for 1.5 hrs

How long is the film?

Drac

Thought it was pretty good. And yes it was a south African accent, it is a strange accent.

freeridenick
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent – really quite different.

samuri
    Free Member

I thought it was great. Quite obviously set in SA to highlight racism. Very well made, different, interesting. Not your usual alien fest style movie.

It *was* a bit open ended though.

spacemonkey

I thought it was excellent too – definitely a break from the norm.

mrvear
    Free Member

There is a short film on tinternet some where which it is based on. Can't remember the name though : ( but it is good.

ruminant
    Free Member

I really liked it, yes the swearing was a bit strange and yes it was left with the option of a next film.

it never explained why they were in such a state and of course the ship has to come back to sort him out.

I can see it being abit indipendence day only the aliens winning this time

llama

Really liked it. The prawns = black south africans. It is a bit of an obvious one but only in hindsight as all the good ideas are. Interestingly directed with all the interview, news report, hand held camera etc. And for me it has a real south african feel about it, although I've only visited a few times, whick makes a change from the main.

Haze

I liked it too, first impressions I thought they could've done a bit more with it – but on reflection they got the balance about right.

Any more and it could've turned into just another alien flick.

"Nuh nuh, it's cat food" 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Foookin Prawns!

mrvear
    Free Member

I believe the next film is going to be a prequel IIRC

epicyclo

Not SF, but if you haven't seen "The Gods Must be Crazy" then you have missed a SA classic.

Very funny.

lowey

Superb film. I loved it.

nickegg
    Free Member

I just watched this the other weekend. Really enjoyed it but didn't pick up on any racial metaphors etc!

Hope they do a prequel AND a sequel.

hora
    Free Member

ITs fooking great!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I watched it a while ago, but TBH wasn't that impressed. Can't quite recall why, just didn't match the hype that had preceeded it's release at the cinema last year. Glad I rented it rather than made the effort to get to the cinema. The whole SA/apartheid thing was somewhat predictable really.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

ITs fooking great!

+1

BigJohn

District 9. I can't think what they're going to call the sequel.

nasher
    Free Member

I never saw the hype, so when -i wtched the film i really enjoyed it, also because it was not in the USA it made it even better, and the SA accent is cool or funny, cant make muy mind up

boblo
    Free Member

I watched it on the plane a bit ago and was dissapointed to see it painted shellfish in a very poor light. I can't abide anything that doesn't give crustaceans a fair crack of the whip…..

hora
    Free Member

We bought it dirt-cheap from HMV- well worth the 'rental' cost IMO.

SST
    Free Member

The accents are perfect. Sharlto Copley who plays Wikus van der Merwe was born in Jhb.

The funniest bit for me is where he arrives home, his house is in darkness because the family are throwing him a surprise party, and he walks through the door and says to his wife "Why are the lights off? Is the power off? (there were lots of power cuts here around that time – it's better now though) I need to get to the toilet baby – I think might have crapped in my pants . . ." then the lights come on "Surprise!!!".

The underlying story is based on people here being forcibly moved from squatter camps etc under the previous government system.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘District 9’ is closed to new replies.