Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • disposing of a dead smartphone
  • ayjaydoubleyou

I discovered my old iphone while tidying up. It is as far as I can find out, totally dead, plugging it in does nothing. I guess 2.5 years empty has fully buggered the battery.

But… It isn’t wiped*. If someone were to figure out how to turn it on, they would potentially be able to access my google account, email, social media etc. Banking app and so on has 2FA but probably not insurmountable.

But now I have visions of morally bereft but technically adept people taking in dead phones under the guise of charity or recycling in an attempt to phish people.

Am I being stupid, or, short of physically destroying it, what can I do.

*I intended t keep it as a bar mounted, no sim/airplane mode satnav, but never got around to it.

Drac

Lock it through Find My Phone they’ll not be able to do anything with it.

Cougar

It’s hypothetically possible but the likelihood of anyone going to all that trouble in the vague hope that they might be able to access your Facebook account is vanishingly low.

Take it to the tip, get on with your life.

johnnystorm

Leave it plugged in for a good while and see if it wakes up.

Almost every iPhone has some worth and you might get something using it as a trade in. Or you can factory wipe it and ebay it for charity.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Try heating it up with a hairdryer whilst on the charger.Be a bit careful but it worked for me with an old iphone SE that had been left uncharged for ages.

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you’re really worried, you can take it to your local Apple Shop (if you have one) they’ll recycle it.

cheese@4p

Burial at sea?

mikeyp

Took 2 phones to my local Apple store that were in the same state. Apple won’t be liable for the data on it. The shop assistant said they’d recycle your microwave FOC if you bring it in. Not sure how this solves your data concerns

sirromj
    Free Member

Mix 500ml of household bleach, teaspoon of salt, and a lump of coal with the phone in a blender, job done.

Cougar

In unrelated news: Never go to sirromj’s house on cocktail night.

reeksy

Pretty sure i’d just put it back in the cupboard for another 2.5 years.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.