Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Displaying a valid tax disk?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

ok so I’ve just renewed my tax disk online after discovering it runs out tomorrow, anyone know the deal with driving it in the time between the disk arriving and the old one expiring? I know they can crush your car for not having tax, but I’ll have tax, right??

uplink
    Free Member

You got an email confirmation & a ref number

Also – most tax dodgers are caught by machine not a plod eyeballing discs so yours should come up as paid

Biffer
    Free Member

Provided you have renewed you will be fine provided its the plod that stop you – they will to DVLA where the database will show you have renewed.

If its Wardens then you might get a ticket – but you can prove later that you have paid.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I had a flyer from DVLA through the door at xmas saying you have 4 or 5 days grace to display the new disc, something to that effect.

neilb67
    Free Member

They give you five days grace…

scaredypants

stick your email confirmation in the window

surfer
    Free Member

Stick it in the window, the offence is not displaying, if you have a valid one in your glove box you are still commiting an offence because its not on display IIRC.

Conor
    Free Member

failure to display, (up to) £200 fine. I was shitting myself for the last week as we picked up a new van, been taxed by the dealer ages ago but they never sent the disc with the van.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I was shitting myself for the last week

ffs you guys, driving around without a valid tax disc on display is one of the things which makes driving less boring, more interesting, and more challenging.

What chances have the Old Bill got of pulling you up if don’t give them any challenges ?

WTF
    Free Member

Automatic fine for not displaying tax disc even if you have one in date.
    Parking wardens can also report you for it.

HTH

MrNutt
    Free Member

WHICH IS IT?!??!!?

Conor
    Free Member

you’re doomed.

neilb67
    Free Member

Had a post card from the DVLA this morning and this is the first paragraph

“From 1 September 2008, if you pay for your vehicle tax by phone or online before the current tax disc runs out, then you can legally drive or keep your vehicle on the road whilst displaying the tax disc that has run out, for up to five days. (Giving time for your new tax disc to arrive by 1st class post).

Hope this clears things up and I will be keeping this card in a safe place till my new disc turns up

MrNutt
    Free Member

splendid news!! 🙂

DrP

I told you!

Why do you mock me so….?

DrP

MrNutt
    Free Member

how else am I supposed to enjoy myself now?

myheadsashed

I was hearten to see several clamped cars down my mums street today – no valid tax……

RudeBoy
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

WTF!?! I just tried to renew and it said I had no insurance?!?

I called my insurer who just informed me that “we appear to have cancelled your policy in error”

WAHT?!! FHE?!?! TUCK?!?!

and then had the gall to ask “would you like us to quote you for a new policy?” TAHW!?! EHT KCUF?!?!

I’m aghast!! I’ve been driving for the past two weeks with no insurance?!? what if I’d been pulled over?? what if I’d not had to renew my tax?!?!

hmmm. not impressed, so after a boring two hours trawling the interwebs and filling out some of the longest forms I’ve ever I’m now insured with direct line, £300.00 a year fully comp for a car worth only marginally more than that!!

now I need to wait for the insurance details to be sent to the DVLA before I can tax the bloody thing online or the documents arrive so I can do it at the post office!!!

ARRGAH!!

oh well, I guess it means I get to use the bike more!! 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

“we appear to have cancelled your policy in error”

Not entirely 100%, but I think that means, as it’s their error, that had you been in a situation where you needed to claim, they would have to pay out, with no cost or penalty to you. If you reasonably believed that you were insured, then you would not have been prosecuted. Your insurer would have been in deep sh1t, though, probbly.

Numpties…

Don’t Nationwide do car insurance?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Displaying a valid tax disk?’ is closed to new replies.