Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dislocated thumb recovery
  • frogstomp

Just under 2 months ago I managed to dislocate my thumb (nearest the nail) in a crash. I managed to put it back straight away (which in hindsight may not have been the thing to do) and a subsequent X-ray confirmed nothing was broken.

Fast forward and the joint is still sore (especially when used) and will hardly bend – being more like a hard stop than just a weakness in the muscle / joint.

I’m suspecting maybe ligament / tendon damage so will try and get a GP appointment for next week.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar and recovered – either naturally, by physio or surgery..?

TheWrongTrousers

For what it’s worth, I have arthritis in my thumb. It’s been niggling away for a few years and getting slowly worse. I went to the GP who suggested a cortisone injection which they finally did about a month ago. It’s worked wonders and it feels 90% better.
    It took ages to take it done because they had to do it under ultrasound so that they could get the needle in between the narrow joint, plus being prescribed a course of physio before they would do the injection.
    I was on the verge of giving up when my appointment was cancelled during lockdown, but I’m so glad I persevered now, even though it might not last for ever.
    Hope you get some relief.
    Knees next ……

jamiemcf

I popped my left thumb maybe 3 years ago

I left it be on the ride and drove home, my wife took me to a&e once the washing machine had finished (she doesn’t like it being on when noone is in in case it floods / bursts into flames).

A&e reset it and sent me on my way.

It doesn’t fully flex and feels strange at its maximum, like something is stopping it.

speed12
    Free Member

I popped mine about 6 or 7 years ago and if I put a lot of pressure on it now – a good example being opening a stubborn jar – it still aches a bit.

Took a good 6 months-year after doing it to get full strength back without pain. I had a couple of NHS physio appointments and they gave me what is basically silly putty to squeeze and mould in different ways as an exercise. I was a bit crap at keeping to doing it daily but I think it helped.

I remember the physio saying that the tendon there gets very little blood flow so takes ages to heal.

Watty

Maybe it’s an age thing? I’ve dislocated both of mine: the left, the whole thumb went up into my palm 🤢, sorted at the RAF hospital in Ely, I was 15. The right, the whole thumb came out sideways, I put it back myself, I was 17. Neither has ever caused a problem.

Futureboy77

I dislocated my left thumb around 15 years ago and it’s never fully recovered. As above, I still get aches if I put any real pressure on it and I don’t have full movement.

frogstomp

Thanks for the info.. I’ll try exercising it more, but will still try and get it checked out.

singletrackmind

Squash ball squeezing was the most effective for me, but mine was base of thumb and tendons.
    Also some plastic putty from the physio girls worked ok, maybe blutac would help
    I developed trigger tjumb and that is slowly getting worse and locks halfway through bending and needs manipulation to click past the obstruction

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dislocated thumb recovery’ is closed to new replies.