Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dislocated thumb joy..
  • twang
    Free Member

Had a high speed off a bit back, dislocated my thumb and knackered my ligaments. So now I’m half way to having the plaster removed.
    Anyone else had this injury and how long did it take to get your grip strength back? …its doing my head in now, day time tv’s starting to annoy…aaarrrgh!!!

mistermouse
    Free Member

Yep, i had the pleasure of a couple of pins and a cast for a few weeks after an off at the beginning of May. Cast came off and wires out 2 weeks ago, Thumb area still swollen and movement returning, i can now touch the first 3 fingers and just about touch the little finger. A couple more weeks i think before i can ride but i want to make sure it heals well as its quite important to have a working thumb.Good luck and don’t rush it.

twang
    Free Member

Thats encouraging. Are you doing physio on it and did they give you any clues as to when you could ride again? I’ve also got a couple of wires with loops on the end sticking out, how do they remove em? – got visions of them being pulled out like pulling a pin on a hand grenade [shudder]

Davy
    Free Member

Cheer up. My right thumb dislocates with alarming regularity. It only takes moderate pressure in the wrong direction, and it pops out. It’s happened so many times now that it’s not all that painful (or maybe I’m just really hard 🙂 ) and it’s generally alright after a couple of days.

Last time it happened while I was fitting a particularly tight tyre. Popped it straight back in, and carried on with the job.

mistermouse
    Free Member

THe wires are pulled out with a pair of pliers whilst you watch , first one smarted but the other slid out easily, odd sensation. got given a few exercises to do by physio (back to them next week) and i am wearing a splint/support when out and about so as not to knock it. Driving is ok and i recon i can grip the bars ok but is still painfull around base joint so i will leave it a little longer.

johnners
    Free Member

Sound like K-wires, they’re laid over a fracture or dislocation to stabilise it while it heals. They just pull them out with pliers, it usually doesn’t hurt. Like mm says, it feels weird though. I badly broke my wrist a few years ago and they used them to hold the jigsaw puzzle in place while the bones knitted.

twang
    Free Member

YIKE! wont be watching that thankyou! Hope your sorted soon mistermouse.
    Davy you’re just hard.. bit like Mel Gibson in leathal weapon when he does that shoulder thing….thats you that is 😀

Drac

Did both mine as a kid and popped them back in myself, they still pop out now and then a little too easy but easy to put them back in apart from the pain.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dislocated thumb joy..’ is closed to new replies.