• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dislocated thumb experiences
  • hoberinos
    Free Member

Had a rubbish off yesterday which resulted in a few cuts to the face and an unexpected badly dislocated thumb. Took two seperate attempts in A&E to get it back into place!

I’ve been told it’s 6 weeks off the bike, which is frustrating as I had a trip to BPW all booked up in a couple of weeks.

Tell me your tales of injury and recovery and share my pain 🙂
    I’ll post a picture up if anyone is interested.

Drac

Dislocated both mine in my early teens at the same time, popped the both back in myself. 40 years later they can still pop out easily then are painful for a couple of weeks.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Had a green stick dislocation of mine a couple of years back whilst playing rugby. Ref went spare, although it did look rather gross with some bone sticking out! Took quite a few goes to get it back in place, then had to stitch the hole back together. I was livid at the time they wouldn’t let me take any photos of the damage!

iainc

Did my left one as a teenager, 35 yrs ago….. I can’t use a dropper remote on left side of bars….

Kuco

Broke both of mine. One on the bike or rather coming off the bike. Break wasn’t the issue tearing most of the ligament off was. Still plays up 12 years later.

singlespeedstu

What day is your BPW ticket for? 😉

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Similar tale here, dislocated my thumb ~25 years ago in a silly incident, hit a pothole with my hand in a less than sensible position on the bars, didn’t even fall off, still have pain occasionally, especially when cold and it occasionally locks up if i’ve been overdoing it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

TBH, of all the sprains and strains i’ve had, it’s probably the one thats most annoying. Even the spinal damage didn’t piss me off as much as ALWAYS being aware that my thumb of all things might let me down. Even dropped beer before now.

tomaso
    Free Member

I wrenched mine last February. Skiers thumb the Docs said. I could ride still but not with any vigor. It took a couple months to get some strength, but it is slow. It is still a bit weak a year later.

hoberinos
    Free Member

@singlespeedstu
    9th March

Thanks everyone, I think I’m even more depressed now 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RSgGZd]IMG_6584[/url] by jkyriakoudis, on Flickr

thegreatape
    Free Member

Dislocated mine playing rugby. Had surgery under GA two days later. It was snapped in two as well though.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Hmmm. That looks like a different joint to mine. Dislocated it earlier this year but it was bent back. Was riding with an ER doctor who put in straight away. 2 weeks in a cast and then 4 weeks in a splint that held it immobile. Then plenty of physio for 8 weeks. But…. I did ride BC bike race 13 weeks after the accident with the thumb in a support.

9 months later the joint still swells up if I’m doing a lot of gripping (Skiers thumb) but it’s generally okay.

Drac

That’s an impressive dislocation.

Looks like a CMC as well as MCP.

bigG
    Free Member

Dislocated my left thumb while fighting with a prop playing rugby 25 years ago. The only thing I’ve found that helps is to sit and squeeze a tennis ball for hours on end, built the ligament strength back up.

It still pops out occasionally, aches for a few days and then is fine.

I can do most things ok with it these days (dropper post remote is on the left)

G

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dislocated thumb experiences’ is closed to new replies.