Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dislocated Finger?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Came off the bike the weekend before last and banged my finger. Didn’t think much of it at the time – I was able to ride straight after, it bent fine etc.

Skip to the next evening, it swelled up pretty badly and mostly went a lovely shade of purple, leaving me pretty much unable to bend it. The swelling went down over the next few days, I can now bend it just about enough to touch my palm without too much pain, though it’s still sore.

A couple of folk have said it looked like a dislocation bruise, but that seems a bit unlikely… Surely I’d have noticed at the time? Also, to be on the safe side, how long should I leave it before doing anything strenuous (ie biking, climbing, weights)? It was strapped up when it was swollen but not now. Should I be looking at starting to work it a bit soon (one of those squeezy ring things or powerball) to loosen / strengthen it up a bit before doing anything?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It could well have been dislocated and immediately popped back into place. Sounds likely from the description

As for exercise – I would say get professional advice – you might have ligament or tendon damage or you might not.

coogan
    Free Member

I dislocated mine at footie at the lower knuckle, was almost at a 90 degree angle, a few years back. Got it popped back into place and was riding the bike at the weekend and playing footie again the following week. Only had to keep it strapped to another finger for week or so to give it a bit support. Just felt fat and stiff for a good few weeks. Still have a fat knuckle mind you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sssimon
    Free Member

fat knuckle seems to be a permanent thing for most, 5 years on mine still gets a bit stiff now and again but a lot of my joints do so might not be solely down to the dislocation

can’t believe we’ve got to the 4th post of a dislocation thread withour a pic, got this one at kirroughtree acting the dick rather than riding gnarly trails

coogan
    Free Member

Had a pic of mine on a mates phone. The bastid lost his phone and I now have no pic. 😡

flyingmonkeycorps

I have a rubbish phone pic of the swelling somewhere, but it really doesn’t do it justice 😉

DezB
    Free Member

No need for rude gestures ssimon.

taxi25
    Free Member

Not bad ssimon. But this is a proper dislocated finger.

Courtesy of my mate Keith.

wors

I did mine a few weeks back not too dissimaler to taxi25’s. but i put the thing back in myself 😈 and i didn’t cry.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Did the taxi25 thing many years ago – my first free day for biking when my youngest started school 14 years ago and I had to stack on the first d/h 😡 . I still have one little finger fatter than the other.

carlosg
    Free Member

Dislocated my thumb last November and couldn’t grip a bar properly (enough that I trusted myself) for nearly 3 months , Get it checked.

crispybacon
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – I did the same thing at the weekend too. 5k’s into a 30k enduro lap & I dislocated my middle finger where it joins to my hand which luckily popped straight back in.

I carried on as it wasn’t too painful but later that evening it started to swell up & hurt like hell. I’m much the same as you where I can bend the finger into the palm but any pressure especially on the joint area is very painful. I also had it X-rayed & there are no broken bones.

On the bright side I did do a bike test ride up the street today & it wasn’t that painful & I could brake OK.

Anyone got any idea what I can do to speed up the recovery?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dislocated Finger?’ is closed to new replies.