Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dishwashertrack world. Is Miele still the daddy? Sorry.
  • midlifecrashes

About to take ours to bits, it died last night, no lights, no action, dead. Assuming I can’t get it going, we’ll be after another. This Miele has been great, 18 or 19 years old without a breakdown. Obviously I should buy another, but are they still any good? Looking at about £550 for one, the G4420SC, with the separate cutlery tray. .

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I feel strange discussing dishwashers on the internet. Is this a new low?

My parents have that dishwasher, they use the cutlery “basket” from their old dishwasher instead of using the inbuilt tray. Make of that what you will.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Miele are indeed still very good. Bosch and Siemens pretty good too. To be honest there are lots of good options. Its worth having a good look at some in a store as I have been frustrated at how bad some of the trays are, glasses and plates won’t stand up properly etc. I think with things like this you get what you pay for.

drlex
    Free Member

Is it not worth having it inspected and hopefully fixed by a Miele ‘technician’? All brands appear to have decreased markedly in quality this century such that a £200-300 bill may be better than the cheapest model.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have Bosch which has done the job admirably and quietly. Cheaper than meile who I am sure make good DW.

brassneck

Bosch have been excellent for me. Only binned mine because the failed heater unit (my diagnosis, so no guarantee) failed and appeared to be £120 ish. It was about 16 years old at that point.

Currently have a Smeg, £220 from Ebay (returned stock) which is doing a fine job too in terms of cleaning, probably the best so far,but no idea on the longevity.

Markie
    Free Member

We have just bought a Neff and think it fantastic.

That said, if dishwashers are akin to ovens (where we also went Neff), if we’d had the money we would have gone Miele!

hot_fiat

Was given our Siemens by a mate who was refurbishing his kitchen 4 years ago. He’d had it for a few years before that & was only ditching it because it wasn’t cleaning as well as it used to. Turned out that his families’ eating habits had taken their toll on the filters & pipework. I sat it in the garden, sprayed it with muc-off and jetwashed it inside & out like a scruffy MX bike. Has been absolutely faultless since.

Siemens / Neff / Bosch are all the same (or very similar) machines badge-engineered to a price point.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Is it not worth having it inspected and hopefully fixed by a Miele ‘technician’? All brands appear to have decreased markedly in quality this century such that a £200-300 bill may be better than the cheapest model.

We had an awful experience with a Miele engineer. he was desperate within 30 seconds of seeing the failed dishwasher to get us to pay 300 quid for new electronics. No proper examination of the innards or any of that getting your hands dirty nonsense. Ended up paying them but didn;t fix the problem. Independent (ex Miele) got it working after finding one failed (non electronic) part after some mucky rummaging. Respect to Miele though – we complained and showed them the receipt from the independent and how he had fixed it and we got a full refund.

TM

CaptainSlow

OP – the Miele dishwasher you are looking at is the one I replaced out Bosch Excel with. It’s quieter and does a better job of cleaning that the old one.
    Had it less than a year but am very happy with it.

oliwb
    Free Member

Miele are the dogs….we have one in our house (currently renting) and I just took it for granted. I could put anything (and I mean anything – including engine parts) in there and it would come out looking sparkly. The apartment we’re staying whilst in the US has a hotpoint and it’s the biggest piece of crap. Noisy and doesn’t actual clean anything. They’re worth the money.

cinnamon_girl

No.

grantway
    Free Member

Bosh and Siemens is what we mainly put in as very reliable
    Yes Mile are very good.
    But remember if not all Appliances have been designed with a 5 year lifespan.

Spud

Replaced our knackered Siemens with another Siemens, very pleased with it and it cleans better than the old one did too. Got an extended warranty deal with it through John Lewis.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

No. I’ve got a 7 year old Miele. Not impressed at all. The cutlery tray is a faff. It’s another drawer to pull out and doesn’t seem to have any influence on cleaning. It also means the spary arm below hits the larger plates and pans. A real PITA hearing clunk clunk for 90 minutes. Cleaning is nothing special. I still end up having to rewash most of the cereal bowls and some glasses by hand. It just cannot deal with wheatabix. My parents Zanussi was vastly better. It died and they bought a Siemans. Which doesn’t clean very well at all. John Lewis own brand are supposed to be good.

matthewjb
    Free Member

woodlikesbeer – Member

It also means the spary arm below hits the larger plates and pans. A real PITA hearing clunk clunk for 90 minutes.

You know you can adjust the height of the basket?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

You know you can adjust the height of the basket?

Yes, but if we raise the middle basket to clear the plates below we cannot get the wine glasses in. Poor design in my view. Nearly as bad as our Miele fridge.

WHICH YOU CANNOT STAND A F$%$**& WINE BOTTLE UP IN. I MEAN SERIOUSLY, WHAT SORT OF MORON FORGETS TO CHECK A WINE BOTTLE FITS IN THE FRIDGE DOOR???! 😡

Sorry but I just think it’s a massive fail. (goes off to calm down)

bol

I too am looking for a new dishwasher after ours pissed all over the floor last night – but I didn’t have the balls for a dishwashertrackworld type post. Thanks OP.

It was an elderly Neff that failed. I think I’m going to go for the cheapest Bosch this time unless anyone’s got any better ideas?

taffy
    Free Member

I’ve had an old hotpoint9in the house when we moved in ) which dies and was repalced by a Bosh 8 years ago. that was pretty good (bar somone using it as agarbage disposta and puttin plated in uncleaned/scraped)

I’d Still ahve it but having a new kitchen wiht fitted appliances so now have an AEG – my only gripe is the wash times ar agnonizingly long. Bosh would hapily ahve again and would aspire to a Meile! ~(could easily have afforded if somone hadent spenk 3.5k on Quartz worksurfaces!)

falkirk-mark

Had a bosch for 9 years and replaced it with another bosch. (the first is still going as it was only replaced because it was white and the kitchen was replaced and we needed a stainless one)

jambalaya
    Free Member

I sat it in the garden, sprayed it with muc-off and jetwashed it inside & out like a scruffy MX bike. Has been absolutely faultless since.

@hot_flat that’s an excellent story I can visualise that ! Hopefully you had a beer in hand too.

It just cannot deal with wheatabix

@woodlikesbeer
    Wheetabix can be like cement if it’s left to dry on. Just rinse the plate quickly immediately after use and put it in the dishwasher. We had one of the Meile with the cutlery tray, we didn’t use it just put a normal style basket in the bottom. Also wine glasses can be laid at about 30 degrees and still clean very well (some risk of spotting on the lower lip).

This thread is nearly as good as the which vacuum ones.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dishwashertrack world. Is Miele still the daddy? Sorry.’ is closed to new replies.