Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dishwashers and washing machines, things that puzzle me…
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Why at the end of the washing machine does it wait until I can open the door, it’s done a spin and stopped so there’s no water in it so why make me wait a couple of mins before letting me in?

And similarly, dishwashers – it finishes washing and rinsing them, but it doesn’t beep to tell me it’s finished for another 30 mins at least, why not tell me straight away so I can open the door and let them dry better?

There must be reasons for these things but I can’t work them out…

nickjb
    Free Member

For the dishwasher, they dry better if you leave it closed. Ours has a little light to tell you it is in the drying phase. You can open it if you like but it’s not as good

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Waiting for the temperature to cool down? 🤷🏻‍♂️

PiknMix
    Free Member

My stupid little t**t of a washing machine won’t let me open the door until a few minutes after I’ve selected which programme I need it on. So I have to wait to put my bloody clothes in the stupid thing, then wait again to get them out when it’s finished.

Thats not even the most frustrating part, that little bit of joy comes when you miss the window of opportunity where the arsehole deems it acceptable to be unlocked, and then locks itself again.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not an issues on my dishwasher..I can open the door at all times, even when the machine is running mid cycle, so if I forget to put a plate in and it is mid cycle I can open the door and put the plate in no problem. Once the cycle has finished it still has time on the countdown display to say the cycle has not finished because it’s quite hot in there so gives time to allow for things to cool down. But I can still open the door – it’s not locked.

On the washing machine had to look up my manufacturers instructions. Apparently the motor is used to provide some braking force brake to slow the spinning drum down as it can have quite alot of inertia and take a surprisingly long amount of time to run down to a stop if left to freewheel. So the 3 minute timer is there to allow for a motor malfunction where it has not applied any braking force and allows time for the drum to run down without any braking assistance. 3 minutes sounds like a long time for this, however at 1400 rpm with a full drum load of damp clothes the run down time can vary alot and I guess they’re being overly protective.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

My dishwasher instructions say to open the door as soon as the cycle is finished to aid drying.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Why do washing machines have windows but dishwashers don’t?

WillH

Having recently repaired my washing machine – faulty door latch – I can say that on some models the latch is controlled by a bi-metallic strip. There’s a current running through it keeping it heated and therefore closed. At the end of the cycle the current stops and when it cools it unlocks. This can take a minute or two, on ours the mechanism is in a wee plastic enclosure, fairly well thermally insulated.

revs1972
    Free Member

Our washing machine has a little door In the door so you can add stuff you might have missed putting in. Never had to use that feature and according to the wife we never will. I think it’s cool though, so serves her right for leaving it up to me to buy the appliances.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

My dishwasher plays up occasionally, a light caress and a kiss usually sorts it.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Why do washing machines have windows but dishwashers don’t?

Clothes spin round and round so need to be able to view the horizon to avoid getting seasick. No such issue with the stationary crockery.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Why do i have to empty the washing machine immediately? Why does it scream at me that its done?

Why can’t i leave it until a time that suits me like after i have finished my dinner.

**** arsehole thing its the least useful feature ever. Which makes it all the more annoying.

Similarly why doesn’t my dishwasher have a sensor to say “come and fix me, the fishslice has slipped and stopped my arms i’m achieving nothing here but you won’t find out for 75 minutes”

Murray

@joshvegas, if it’s a Bosch you can turn the noise off. For mine, select “Cottons”, press the play/pause button at the same time as turning the knob clockwise 1 click. Volume is then set using the “Finished in time” buttons.

Still can’t see why anyone would want the useless noise!

molgrips
    Free Member

it finishes washing and rinsing them, but it doesn’t beep to tell me it’s finished for another 30 mins at least, why not tell me straight away so I can open the door and let them dry better?

That’s the drying cycle. The heater is on and the water is being evaporated off the dishes, condensing down the side of the machine and collecting at the bottom and gets pumped away periodically. You can open it if you like but it takes longer to dry.

My new machine has a fan in it to suck out the humid air whilst the drying cycle is on. Great idea.

dmorts

Our new dishwasher opens the door automatically to let the steam out and aid drying

My wife’s friend’s new dishwasher also had this feature but they didn’t realise. The couple thought that each was leaving the door slightly open as a hint to other to empty it. It was several weeks before one of them was in the kitchen as the cycle finished to witness what was actually happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dishwashers and washing machines, things that puzzle me…’ is closed to new replies.