• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mert.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dishwasher turns kitchen into pool
  • james-rennie

What’s the first things for me to look at? The dishwasher has leaked a load of water onto the kitchen floor. It looks like it’s coming out from near the bottom of the door.
    Pump? Door seal? What else?

8 year old Smeg unit if that makes any difference.

Murray

Unlikely to be the door seal, water level should never get that high.

Start with the obvious – the hose.

escrs
    Free Member

Check the waste water pipe hasnt become blocked and isnt allowing the used water to flow though the pipes

Had this on our dishwasher and washing machine before

singletrackmind

Inlet solenoid valve failure possibly, so it constantly fills.
    Was it running, and or had been running just prior to the great escape?

tonyf1
    Free Member

A lot of dishwashers use a ball float to detect when to shut off water. Over time crud will stop the ball floating leading to overflow. Given age I’d look at buying a new one.

james-rennie

I’ve rodded drain water hose, so that’s OK.

Was it running, and or had been running just prior to the great escape?

It was running whilst water was pouring onto the floor.

Unlikely to be the door seal, water level should never get that high

After switching off, I opened the door and made the flooded floor even worse, so that inlet solenoid sounds possible.

Davesport

Might seem like a bone question, but has the machine got any sort of anti-flood mechanism? Might be a good indicator of where the water is coming from. When mine was leaking it shut down automatically &it made fault finding difficult. I’d pull the thing out & run it for a cycle & see what’s what.

bruneep

8 year old Smeg unit if that makes any difference.

any error codes or just a leak?

ours suffered from flooding as the aqua stop had failed.

persisted with a bodge for a while and then bought another

spooky_b329

Given age I’d look at buying a new one.

And that is what is wrong with the world. Probably a fairly simple repair and let’s just buy a whole new dishwasher!

Our washing machine must be getting on for 15 years old, it’s been pulled apart a couple of times but generally white goods like this are pretty simple and you can just swap bits out.

It’s either overfilling, or failing to pump out (and overfilling). Our washer did this a few times and it was excess detergent bubbling up a tube to a switch, preventing it from turning off the water at the correct level. (After using a specific wool detergent)

poolman
    Free Member

Yes don’t bin it before trying a few fixes, I d clean waste trap mine was minging. Clean seal with vas or olive oil. Inspect feed pipe for damage.

Some good bf deals, I just bought a lush miele fridge, could sell your leaky one for spares/repair. Miele direct did best deal.

maccruiskeen

Given age I’d look at buying a new one.

And that is what is wrong with the world. Probably a fairly simple repair and let’s just buy a whole new dishwasher!

I presume he means a new float not a new machine

poolman
    Free Member

My dishwasher problem was faulty catch, kept thinking it was open so wouldn’t start. Engineer just cleaned latch mechanism, not a leak but worth a try.

singletrackmind

I pulled the thing apart to fit a replacement heater tube that failed on my Smeg. Not alot to wrong underneath, they are a pretty simple thing, however the pcb:s on Smeg are a weak point so it might be time for a replacement
    I went Bosch with on delay timer and, imo, its a better machine.

razorrazoo

Having a Bosch delivered tomorrow to replace a Smeg unit that’s about 10 years old. I’ve replaced various parts myself over the years but it’s dumped water for the second time in a few months.  Looked at the various common faults but none of those, I can see leakage from a part which looked pretty deeply buried, that coupled with one of the tray brackets going again and it feels like throwing money away to keep repairing it.

fettlin

Pull the kickboard from under the unit,  there should be a panel hidden on the front of the machine that you can unscrew to see some more of the gubbins. Run the machine and see if there are any leaks from underneath as well.

Ours it was the waste water pipe blocked, but it kept leaking underneath and also filled the unit so that when you opened the door it flooded out. I had to disconnect the waste hose from the pump and put a long flexible brush through the pipe all the way to the waste trap.

It was full of grease and gunk.

stingmered

We had a SMEG dishwasher. Went kaput after water flowed into the motor unit and then on removing water got into the main PCB (my error, the thing tipped over on removal) so wasn’t worth repair. As it was integrated into a hand built kitchen I didn’t want to tempt fate with it not aligning so bought identical. Within 18mths that also was leaking and the ball/float cutout failed causing a flood. Never again. I put SMEG in the same class as Alfa. Beautiful to look at but don’t ask them to mix electrics and water.

james-rennie

Well, Mrs has used all those saved up nectar point and we’ve bought a new one, to be delivered next week. The leaker is now in the garage and I will fix it

mert
    Free Member

I tried to fix mine when it packed in. Identified the fault (known issue with circuit board) about 30 quid for a new one.

Waited, waited , waited, arrived.

Wrong circuit board… wrong form, no space, completely different connectors.

Apparently a parts shortage, 10 years previously (when it was manufactured) meant that a batch had been manufactured in a different facility using the same case, same model numbers (but for a single letter suffix) and completely different internals…

Which was annoying.

Only place you could get the circuit board from was the manufacturer in Vietnam. Which was a step too far. And 70 quid for postage.

So that one’s in the bin.

And sometimes they can’t be repaired.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.