Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Diseased/ill/run down/not well???
  • ton

for the last 2 months i have been out of sorts…..
    not proper ill like that i cant do anything, but not well.
    started with feeling very lethargic and no energy, then a bad stomach that lasted 2 weeks followed by a very sore throat and lethargy again, and now to top it all i have a very bad and very painful ear infection.
    it has caused the passage to shut and the side o my face to swell, it is not very nice…
    anyone else having a run of small niggling ilnesses like this..
    it is pissing me off now making me feel more run down and depressed….

Drac

depressed….

This bit here could it be you've been suffering from that given what's going on at home?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I think you can do too much exercise without fuelling your body correctly.
    This on top of work & normal daily routine is probably draining your system.

I take vit c and others vits daily. Cod Liver Oil is a good one as well.
    I cut down on coffee, and unhealthy fats and replace with plenty of water and fruit and also oily fish.

I am in your age bracket Ton and also a Granddad racing round after a 3 yr old, and am also starting to get niggles that did not bother me when younger – especially colds & flu .. I never suffered either until last year.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Nwvwefastenuff, has your grandchild started nursery recently, when they do the little buggers bring all sorts of new bugs home for us to catch.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Hello Drac,

Grandaughter has been at nursery 18mths, at first everything going came either to my daughter & SIL, although due to grandparental duties my wife also got 'bugs' but I never seemed to get. G/D does not have issues with nursery bugs now as I think she is battle hardened against bugs.

One thing I always used to do when I picked her up from Nursery was wash her hands thoroughly and then antibac them..

Drac

Yeah they do become immune to them, as do we but they still carry them and that means you can still get them if your not immune. I never suffered from colds either until the kids came along and now as a new bug goes around school or nursery we soon get it. Washing your hands may help but no if the G/D is a carrier.

Kuco

I've got a fecked painful shoulder thats going to take some time to heal and currently got sore tonsils and chesty cough that's bringing up some rather thick lime green goo that could be used for hanging wall paper. And a left ear that keeps blocking up but luckily not as bad as yours Ton.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Drac, good point, I know for certainty that I can catch colds and flu from my daughter… everyone else around me can be dying but I never catch anything,, until my daughter gets a sniff.. then I know I probably already have a virus incubating.. its probably the very same with my granddaughter – I had not thought of that till now… good one !

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Ton –

If I were you I would go to the doctors. Get you bloods checked etc. Its probably just flu but worth looking at.

I'm Diabetic (37 years old – diagnosed for over 2 years) and when I first went my GP said it was because i'm a new father! Then I went back 6 months later and was diagnosed (always feeling knackered and depressed). My condition still gets me down (i'm not on any medication and type2, which I intend to keep like this as long as possible) and the only pickup for me is exercise (which I do by cycling).

Its unreal what a good blast on my bike does to my mental wellbeing & condition!

Pigface
    Free Member

To much wife swapping??? 😉

derek_starship
    Free Member

See your GP and get full blood screen. Blood tests can reveal almost all.

stumpyjon

rumbledethumps

diabetes is a bit of a silent disease isn't it. It's crossed my mind I might have it too but then the symptoms are so generic. Always tired, but then I've been working longer, now got two kids, riding harder, getting older. Seem to wee a lot but then maybe that's down to the pint mug for coffee at work and drinking more water, and getting older. Often feel demotivated but then work's not great, little lads been in and out of hospital, wife got made redundant six months back, getting older.

I got a bit of a wake up call last year, my cousin died aged forty out of the blue. Called in sick, wasn't heard from for a couple of days, colleagues got worried, went round and found him dead in bed. Turned out he was suffering from diabetes but didn't know it. Had been feeling a bit off, doctor wasn't a lot of help so he upped his excercise, he was a roadie, problay made it worse in the long run.

Ton, just try and take it easy or least do stuff you enjoy. It's also a bad time of year, naturally depressing, less sunlight and the seasonal bugs come out to play. At least I've got a couple of weeks holiday coming up.

GJP
    Free Member

As others have said go to your GP and have a full blood screen. I had similar symptoms a few years back and mine proved to be an under-active thyroid. At the time I was thinking along the lines of diabetes

metalheart
    Free Member

Could be all that junk food…. 😉

CHB

ton…just to cheer you up, I stalked a random biker this morning, thinking it was you!
    Had dropped wife off in stourton for work, saw a bloke that looked like you on a black bike (not ragley, carrera actually…sorry!). Am sure he waved as I passed, so pulled in near the farm entrance opposite the motor auction to wait for him (you?)…he pulled allong side…followed by a quick "sorry mate I thought you were someone else". Oh well that explains why hit took him so long to ride the 300 yards to the car!

lyons
    Free Member

im currently suffering from an ear infection as well. it's driving me mad, theres a slight pain,but worst of all, a really loud and constant ringing, plus i cant hear very well out of it. its being syringed on wednseday, which should hopefully help.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I had a friend recently who felt exactly like you for about 4-6 weeks eventually went to the Dr (initially wouldn't as didn't want to bother them) they took his blood and he has swine flu diagnosed!! Worth going to the Dr as the worst they can say is "fe** off" and you're no worse off!

stumpyjon

Sometimes got to keep going to the doctor even if they do tell you go away the first time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think you can do too much exercise without fuelling your body correctly.
    This on top of work & normal daily routine is probably draining your system.

I find this implausible. Tony is a relaxed, fun rider, not an aspiring athlete – and he's obviously well nourished too. One of the advantages of biking is that for many of us, our daily routine comes nowhere near putting our bodies to enough use, and it's so much fun we're drawn to achieving more sensible levels of fitness.

ton

the pain made me give in this morning, and i went to the drop in health center…
    saw a doctor, who gave me a course of flucloxacillin??
    and said have a few days off till they kick in……nice fellow…
    i feel better already 8)

Bunnyhop

Result.
    You are probably a bit run down too with all the stuff you've been dealing with in the past few months.
    Get some proper rest. That means doing nothing.

We need you well. fit and able for the rides that are booked in. 😀

grumm
    Free Member

stress/sleep can have a lot to do with it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Get some proper rest. That means doing nothing

isn't that like a preparation for death ? We're designed to sleep. I'm not sure resting beyond that is necessary or useful.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

could be glandular fever…

i'm currently suffering.
    Feeling all run down/no energy. was getting slower in races/unable to ride anywhere near as quick as i should be able to.

so decided to go to the docs. she thought it could just be fatigue, (but i hadn't been training hard enough, so i thought otherwise) 1 blood test later, and a call confirmed i have glandular fever

Flaperon

Yet another GP who hands out antibiotics willy-nilly. Make sure you run the entire course, even if it doesn't feel like they're having any effect.

ton

Bunnyhop – Member
    Result.
    You are probably a bit run down too with all the stuff you've been dealing with in the past few months.
    Get some proper rest. That means doing nothing.

We need you well. fit and able for the rides that are booked in.

i think you are right….i think us bit tough blokes try to deal with things ourselves and it all comes to a head sometime and …pop…
    but i am gonna rest, eat better and i will be a riding god in a week or 3… 😉

thejesmonddingo

Some vitamins wouldn't hurt,try Tesco B-active,on special at the mo.
    Ian

iDave
    Free Member

obesity can cause health issues including diabetes? or am I not supposed to say that? whoops, too late…..

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Stumpyjon

Yes mate Diabetes creeps out of nowhere. I too find myself going to the toilet loads more now (especially in the night). Similar to you, having 2 young kids myself and being in an IT job, my work can be sedetary. Fitting in a ride and being there for the kids is a juggling act.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin.

iDave,

Your right, obesity can and does cause diabetes. I was a smidge over weight. I'm about 13 stone and just under 6 foot. I would'nt say I was in the risk zone. Who knows what factors caused this? BTW My twin brother also has diabetes. He was diagnosed 6 months before me and is type 1.

zaskar
    Free Member

See your GP and choose some healthy lifestyle options you can sustain.

duckers
    Free Member

Havent you got a troutelight coming ton? you better get some good night riding in with that bad boy!!! Something to look forward to surely? How about organising a forum ride for a few weeks time giving you something to aim for and get back motiviated?

Philby

Another in a similar boat – had a problem with a numb finger and forearm with occasionally severe pain just below elbow and some pain in the shoulder which I have had since June this year. Has slowly improved but still nagging. Also had about 8 colds in the last 2.5 months – mainly constant sneezing for a day and then disappears, but have been feeling blocked up, lethargic and sore throat and a bit 'heady' for over a week now, and not wanting to go out riding despite a couple of nice days recently. This has not been helped by tooth ache last week which involved an hour at the dentist and a large bill and an appointment for root canal work next week and probably an even larger bill 🙁

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Diseased/ill/run down/not well???’ is closed to new replies.