• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by igm.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discoloured overheated rotor – salvageable?
  • dawson

Rear rotor has become discoloured, I presume from getting too hot. There is still plenty of bite, but it is quite noisy.

(it’s not a leaky caliper sqwark – I’ve had a few of those and this is different)

I’ve tried sanding the rotor a little bit, but it didn’t improve – is the rotor now junk or is it salvageable?

thols2

Is it straight? As long as it’s not warped, the rotor will be fine. If the rotor’s overheated, the pads are probably cooked too. Try sanding them or fitting new pads and bedding them in again.

smiffy

Perfectly fine. I live at the top of the Rhiwr and I blue a rotor to first time I use it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Yeah, rotors don’t really care about this, as long as they’re still straight. But the pads can.

footflaps

Yep, cooked mine the other day – absolutely fine…

NB They did warn us….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nrGw75]Bike packing in North York Moors[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nrHLxi]Cooked brake discs![/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

dawson

Ah, thanks. Will see if I’ve got some spare pads (current pads are Uberbike race matrix pads with loads of life left.)

Will check the rotor is straight too

tjagain

Sintered pads cope better with heat. Diacs on the tandem are blue. Disc brake normal operation is in hundeds of degrees C.

fossy

Don’t drag your brakes – heh heh. Makes a change from when my mate had to stop on a descent in France, as his tub glue started to melt with braking heat in the rim.

igm

@footflaps Those discs look absolutely normal to me.

Should have seen what I did with some Kevlar pads to a couple of sets of discs in the Alps. Though to be fair the first set were Shimano and said resin pads only on them. The Kevlar wore them down quite fast.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.