Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Disc tubular wheel – xtr?
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Xtr tub wheels are available cheap (£600).

Can anyone see any reason these wouldnt work as a road wheel? At 1300g they are plenty light, lovely hubs and no wider than new school road wheels. I have a got a gt grade carbon, the stock wheels are nice and wide, so i was going to set them up as off road tyres, then get a nice set of tubs for road work.

I’m looking for a decent set of disc tubular wheels (I like tubs on road) so any other suggestions welcome, but 15mm axle front, 135 rear and discs pretty much throw any value out the window.

Dickyboy

Could be talking out my arse but Xtr are presumably for tubeless tyres not tubs & also won’t work with road tyre pressures?

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

They do a tubular which i assume is for posh xc bikes.

https://www.mantel.com/uk/shimano-xtr-m980-wheelset-tubular

njee20
    Free Member

They’re designed for wider tyres, but as you identify road wheels have got wider anyway, albeit often not so much at the rim bed. No reason it shouldn’t work.

schmiken

Should be ok, but personally wouldn’t run thinner than a 28c tubular on it. Something like a Pave would be good.

therevokid
    Free Member

isn’t mtb 11 speed different to road 11 speed ?

Garry_Lager

I’ve just stuck road tubs on my CX rims (19mm internal width), and had initially thought I’d be restricted to big tyres, like 32s. From researching it, though, this is not the case and you have a lot of lattitude with matching sizes between tubs and rims because obv there’s no critical tyre interface at the edge of the rim. So a set of pave 27s fit great and I could have gone smaller.

Those xtr wheels do indeed look like a fantastic price – 26 mm wide sounds a bit on the wide side [are modern road rims really that wide?] but I think would be fine given the choice of tyres available.

I’ve been thinking of going the other way and getting a set of tubs for mountain biking – need the focus to widen a little bit from race-only though [ie light but not ultra-light, tyres a bit more robust].

otsdr
    Free Member

Can anyone see any reason these wouldnt work as a road wheel?

11 speed road freehubs are wider, you’ll be stuck to using 10 speed cassettes.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

So i’d have to use mtb 11 speed casette. My grade is a 105 groupset.

If its a no-go, any recommendations on something suitable?

Just looking for a light disc tubular that i can put 25’s-28’s on for road work.

simondbarnes

So i’d have to use mtb 11 speed casette

Yes. But then you’d have issues with mech capacity.

schmiken

Or you can machine 0.2mm off the back of the cassette and it would fit. Other options would be Chinese rims laced to hubs of your choice.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Best place for chinese rims direct?

njee20
    Free Member

FarSports have the best choice. Love my 38mm clinchers.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Ordered some 23mm farsports 38mm cyclocross tubulars – should do the job!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Disc tubular wheel – xtr?’ is closed to new replies.