Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Disc specific CX wheelset weights
  • clanton
    Free Member

I am keen to get some weight off my CX bike – currently a hfty 11.1kg without pedals.

Obvious place to start is the wheels – currently Shimano 29er wheels.

Front wheel all in (rotor, tube, tyre, skewer) was approx 1850 grams
    Rear wheel all in (rotor, skewer, tube, tyre, cassette)2450grams

Just keen to get an idea of how that compares to other peoples’ setup?
    Any light, strong (and cheap ;-)!) wheelsets people can recommend? Could stretch the budget to £300 max.

remoterob
    Free Member

If you are worried about wheel weights, you need to take the variables such as rotor/cassette/tyres out of the equation.

I recommend Hope Hoops with Crests, a versatile and not overly heavy solution.

JoB
    Free Member

the Kinesis Crosslight Discs are pretty damn good for the money, Front: 840g. Rear: 960g it says here. £274.99

fatmax

…and £235 at fatbirds.co.uk recently – I’m tempted by a set…

chunkypaul
    Free Member

thats cheap!

GrahamS

I am keen to get some weight off my CX bike – currently a hfty 11.1kg without pedals.

Ouch! My Rose was 8.75kg off-the-shelf, before I stuck some lighter tyres on.

It came with Mavic CrossRide Disc 29er wheels.

antigee

looked at similar on my pro6 as been riding some sportives
    (I don’t race CX) was running wheels off a cotic x, unbranded hubs, shimano rotors with Alex R450 rims with 32mm puncture proof tyres XT rear block – all in weights similar to yours above

for road am now running Velocity A23 rims on SRAM X9 hubs with Michelin Lithium tyres and a SRAM PG990 11-30 Block for big hills slowly – I’m sure lots of road blocks are lighter, some cheap rotors Baradine? that only came in at 100g ea all in weights Front 1400g Rear 1850g – not superlight but enough to make a difference

looking at notes think the wheel weights without stuff 810 front 1032 rear – so the kinesis bargain above are lighter but I wanted rims that were spec’d to run a road tyre – I know people run narrow tyres on Crests etc and Kinesis blurb says though not designed for narrow tyres they will work – but it worries me a bit – but at the fatbirds price I’m almost tempted to put my cotics to one side for a hack bike

got my wheels from Handspun on ebay USA paid US$390 delivered but I’m in Australia at moment so no VAT and I already had the cassette

My starting point was to look at open pro rim weight at 440g (the disc specific velocity are pretty much the same) as lots of people seem to use these and work from there using weightweanies to look at hub weights / block weights – surprised how heavy an XT is!

Looked at Novatec hubs as light and could pick up cheap but I like to ride in all weathers and went for the SRAM hubs for reliability

clanton
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Kinesis option looks good, but now being tempted by Stans Iron Cross, on Novatec Hubs, well over budget though!
    Antigee you said you avoided Novatec because of reliability?

somafunk

Novatech hubs are very good quality, ibis use them on Mojo build kits so nae worries bout reliability.

I have Kinesis CX Crosslights on my Kinesis Tripster ATR – impressed with them so far, the bearings are silky smooth and just run n’ run.

AlexSimon

I ended up with Superstar Pacenti CL25 29er rims on Tesla hubs
    About 1700g a pair for £259

antigee

Antigee you said you avoided Novatec because of reliability? …..

somafunk – Member
    Novatech hubs are very good quality, ibis use them on Mojo build kits so nae worries bout reliability

some conflicting views but water ingress problems seemed to be an issue for some users and I ride whatever the weather so decided against but as above some positive reviews

fatmax

The Kinesis ones were reviewed on RoadCC – and came out very favourably – sorry, should have said that yesterday.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Planet X carbon tubular wheel sets are only 369….

mrblobby
    Free Member

Planet X carbon tubular wheel sets are only 369….

Got a pair of the 50mm for the road, they are lovely.

Tempted by the kinesis CX wheelset for a roadrat build though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Disc specific CX wheelset weights’ is closed to new replies.