Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Disc rub on a new-to-me fork – help!
  • benp1

I have an El Mariachi that was running a rigid 26er fork

I bought a 2nd hand Fargo fork, the one with the extra mounts on it

Now the fork is on the brake disc rubs. Same wheel, same brake caliper, same brake disc. Just the new fork that’s different, both are post mount forks

I had terrible brake disc rub on the pads so I added some washers to try to move the caliper ever so slightly. That’s helped but it’s highlighted that the brake disc rubs on the actual caliper. The outer edge of the caliper rubs on the inner side of the caliper

That doesn’t sound right clearly. Any thoughts?

wwaswas

some disc/caliper/fork combo’s just seem to do this.

Is it a ‘fancy’ disk at all?

benp1

It looks a bit clever but I couldn’t tell you for sure. I picked everything up second hand.

The brakes are Hope Mono Minis

jonk

Fork designed for 180 disc and your running 183?

wwaswas

sorry, meant does the disk have an alloy middle on it or one of those sandwich XT type ones?

molgrips
    Free Member

Calipers are adjustable, expect to have to adjust them if one of the pads rubs.

However if the edge of the DISC rubs on the caliper then the caliper’s too close to the disc. Did you use the same adapter as before?

The gap in which the disc runs is curved at the edges. If the disc is too close to one side then it’ll rub the curved bit.

The disc should be in the middle of the caliper, judged by eye, and if the pads still rub then they aren’t moving evenly – one is probably sticking a bit.

I think you should take it to a shop….

benp1

The only thing that changed is the fork, still Salsa branded but different size

I don’t know what discs they are, but they have a different middle to the outer rotor, they’re not one piece

Was hoping to sort this myself but might need to go to a shop, just can’t understand why it won’t fit as there are limited variables

It’s a post mount fit, the calipers bolt straight to the fork, no adapters at all, and I can’t move the caliper further away from the rotor

benp1

Any other ideas?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sounds simply like caliper alignment to me. It should have lateral adjustment with the bolts slackened enough to clear the rotor but sometimes it’s a lot of faffing.

Have you done the loosen, apply brake and at the same time gently tighten each bolt one bit at a time, then spin to see if it clears? Also putting thin cards between rotor and pad and doing the same procedure can help.

And you’ve pushed the pistons back before doing all this?

Other thing is different caliper positioning, which could happen due to slight differences in forks, can mean the pad wear doesn’t match up to the position. Try new pads. Back of contact adjustment also if you have it on the brakes.

Other than that, double check the post mount is the same size. They are usually the same, but sometimes may not be I think.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Hope floating rotor? Post a PIC.. What hubs are you using?

Swap disc for a standard XT or similar.

joshvegas
    Free Member

As mentioned lreviously. I think you are describing a larger rotor. Different form could have the mount in a slightly different place highlighting the issue?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Disc rub on a new-to-me fork – help!’ is closed to new replies.