Disc rotor wear.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Disc rotor wear.
  • Dibbs

Just checked the thickness of my brake disc rotors and they’re down to 0.050″ from 0.075″.
    Time for a change?
    The current one’s came with my TRP HyRd’s and they’ve been fine but I wonder if the Shimano IceTech 6 bolts are worth trying.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed if my discs are worn. Only times I’ve changed discs is when I’m changing the disc size for some reason.

Dibbs

I’ve ordered some Shimano RT76’s now.

damascus

I usually change my rotors because they are out of true, don’t think I’ve been lucky enough to have to replace due to wear.

b r
    b r

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed if my discs are worn.

Go measure/weigh them, you may learn something.

tbh I’d ignored them until this occurred…

blastit

I have had a few discs wear down quite a lot. Can get a bit pricey with floaters so have stopped buying them.
    I do ride all year round in all weathers if that makes much difference.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Cheap superstar Kevlar pads. Softer and yes you go through more than sintered, but they are far less noisy and don’t eat discs. Price means you can get four sets for the price of one original brand, though overall they last longer than one.

Had similar with an old Peugeot car. Was eating discs almost every service! Was told that was because of the hard pads they fitted to satisfy the long service intervals.

Dibbs

They’ve done at least 5000 miles in some pretty gritty conditions.

smatkins1

Rotors certainly don’t last forever, and it’s better to replace them before they fail.

I replace mine when there is (very) noticeable wear on the braking sufece with a bit of a stroke with a finger nail. For reference my last Hope floating rotors in typical uk grime survived about 7,500miles* before I decided it was necessary to replace them.

I might be making this up, but I’m sure I heared the Shimano IceTech rotors are quite soft and suceptiable to wear.

*Strava data is useful for working out many things!

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Ice tech have a very thin braking surface (on a thicker aluminium core) so wont last as long if you let your disks go as far as br’s, but shouldn’t wear any quicker, just be prepared to bin them when they do get down to the aluminium.

I just use organic pads, cheap as chips and apart from the occasional ‘where’s the pad gone?’ ride they’re fine. OTOH my brains calibrated to the Peak and I now live down south, so everything that makes it past a few months (i.e. most stuff) is considered a durability wonderment compared to pads that dont last a ride and actually wearing frames out!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Disc rotor wear.’ is closed to new replies.