Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Disc Rotor Cleaner
  • coconut
    Free Member

I know this is a old question but reading through past poosts there is not much concensus. What Alcohol based product to clean a oily disc rotor ? White spirit ? Turps, methylated spirit ? I have been trying to get isotropic alcohol but no joy. Used standard spray disc brake cleaner and it left no back brake for a few days until it burnt off on a big ride so keen to avoid that again.
    thanks

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Hot soapy (washing up) water will remove almost any oil, use a scouring sponge if necessary. It’s easier to be thorough with the wheel off the bike, but wrap a cloth around the hub behind the rotor to stop solvent/oil rinsing down into hub bearings. Dry the rotor and avoid touching with fingers.

EDIT here’s a guide I did a few years ago

Brake and Rotor Cleaning

huckersneck
    Free Member

Standard car brake ‘n’ clutch type cleaners aren’t suitable, as they will leave a residue as you’ve found. Car brakes get hotter, faster and so do not suffer like those on bikes.

Isopropyl alcohol aerosols are avaialble from a variety of sources e.g.:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SERVISOL-ISOPROPYL-ALCOHOL-400ML-AEROSOL/dp/B007JV7DDU

I’ve used £1/bottle Wilko methylated spirits for years with no problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ferrals
    Free Member

You can pick up the isopropyl alcohol in Maplins or other techy type shops

Davesport

Isopropyl Alcohol can be bought from ebay

I should mention, there should be no residue left of the disc that will affect braking performance. Do not clean your brake pads with brake cleaner. The reason for this is it isn’t going to work. If the pads are contaminated brake cleaner isn’t going to de-contaminate them.

As a precaution I clean my brake disc with IPA every time I re-mount a wheel. I’ve never experienced a deficit in braking performance like you describe.

D.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Try wire wool or brown 3M “SCOTCHBRITE” no need for solvents.

Will also require a bit of elbow grease 😉

footflaps

I blow torch the brake bads till they smoke, to burn off any contaminant and use meths to clean the rotors.

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up a 400ml (£10) can of Isotropic Alcohol from Maplin earlier and is works a treat, by far the best stuff I have tried.

pembo6
    Free Member

I use whiteboard cleaner (its basically IPA from what I can tell), or white spirits. Never had a problem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This one smells the nicest… Only use it after I’ve spilt something on them or after some crappy weather on the road

jamesy01
    Free Member

In the dishwasher alongside your finest China.

muddylegs
    Free Member

I know this is a old question but reading through past poosts there is not much concensus. What Alcohol based product to clean a oily disc rotor ? White spirit ? Turps, methylated spirit ? I have been trying to get isotropic alcohol but no joy. Used standard spray disc brake cleaner and it left no back brake for a few days until it burnt off on a big ride so keen to avoid that again.

Just out of interest what are the symptoms of the braking problem?

twisty

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up a 400ml (£10) can of Isotropic Alcohol from Maplin earlier and is works a treat, by far the best stuff I have tried.

Err.. Aren’t almost all liquids isotropic?

njee20
    Free Member

He means isopropyl, may explain the difficulties in getting hold of it.

I’m struggling to think of any liquid which isn’t isotropic as you say!

IPA is the best stuff though, I bought 5l on eBay (mainly for non-bike uses) for about £10, lasts ages. Put in a muc-off bottle to use as a degreaser on drivetrains etc too. White spirit definitely a no!

oldnpastit

Err.. Aren’t almost all liquids isotropic?

Which is why it’s so important to get isotropic alcohol. Who knows what anisotropic might do.

Tracey

Onone had big cans of the stuff in their sale. Might have som left

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Disc Rotor Cleaner’ is closed to new replies.