Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Disc Road/CX Wheels?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m looking for a set of disc wheels for a new Kite build.

I’ve currently got a set of Kinesis CX Disc wheels which I’ll use for CX tyres but I’m looking for a second set of wheels which I’ll run some road tyres on, probably some Challenge Strada Bianca or Compass Bon Jons which would be 35c. I’d possibly want to stick some CX tyres on the new wheels come winter so I’d have spares with mud tyres.

Currently I’m undecided between another set of Kinesis CX Discs, possibly the Hunt 4Season Gravel Disc and the Hunt 4Season Disc Road Aero wheels. my budget is £400 for the wheels.

Has anyone tried the Hunt wheels and are they any good?
    Would the 24h Hunt Aero wheels be up to CX racing and a bit of mild off-road/gravel stuff?

avdave2

Kinesis are doing a Racelight disk now if you’ve been happy with the cx ones. In budget as well.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What about stans grails, custom built or their own set

Ben_H

I’ve just got a pair of the new Racelight disc wheels – and think they’re aimed at a different market than CX.

Mine are fitted to my new 4S Disc frame, whereas I’d look at the CX Disc if I were using them on my heavy-duty / off-road bike.

jonba
    Free Member

I have some hunt wheels but just std rim braked ones. They have been good for the small amount of riding I’ve been doing on them over winter.

I can’t see why they would be any worse than any other wheels at that price point. Quick delivery, include QR and I got spare spokes and a few other bits which is a nice touch.

They’d certainly be on any future short list. Can’t comment on how well they last yet.

lawman91

Grails are great but for the love of Christ if you do go down that route DO NOT go for Strada Biancas with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Long story short we fitted some in work t’other week on a set of Grails and it took 3 of us 4 HOURS and 3 tubes to get the bastards on. Never again!!! Personally I’d go either Hunt or as has been said the Racelights.

neila

I have just fitted a pair of the Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc to my CAADX with Tubeless Wtb Cross Boss. They look great and were significantly lighter than the original Maddux 2. Hopefully they will prove to be as good as the 4 Season Aero I got for my Enigma.

womp
    Free Member

Had the same quandary and used this thread so cheers and this was my shortlist (may be useful for others)

Carbon vs alu tubeless ready disc wheels…

Carbon LB 35mm___£480____1520g
    Carbon LB 25mm____£480___1270g
    JRA jawbone sp lite___£425___1488g
    JRA jawbone lite_____£380____1596g
    Racelight___________£351____1550g
    Hunt 4 season_______£350____1598g
    Dt Swiss r23________£295_____1655g
    Cosine_____________£180____1610g

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I have a set of the Hunt disc 4 season.
    Used them last year through most of the West Midlands cross league.
    I bought them before the gravel ones were released.
    To be fair they have been faultless.
    Made the bike a lot lighter and easily done tubeless.
    Fitted various tyres,Bonty CX1,Racing Ralph.
    Just fitted some Scwalbe One’s tubeless as its turned into a bit of a road bike now!
    Thanks,
    Max

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Disc Road/CX Wheels?’ is closed to new replies.