• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by K.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Disc pad/rotor compatibility?
  • bearGrease

Hi, just replaced the brake pads on minigreaser#1’s bike with some sintered ones from uberbike. A week later had to check the centerlock locking ring and saw on the side of the rotor “Resin pads only”. Is this a concern? Will death result from using sintered pads?

coatesy
    Free Member

Probably not, i’ve done it in the past with no obvious problems, though the rotors may wear a bit more quickly (difficult to judge though, and I can’t say I really noticed).

davewalsh
    Free Member

I used sintered pads on my daughter’s bike with resin only rotors. She isn’t dead.
    As above, cheaper rotors are probably lower grade steel and will probably wear a bit quicker.

bearGrease

Thanks guys.

roach

What about disc brake/rotor compatibilty? Can I use any rotors of the correct diameter with any brand of brake?

nickjb
    Free Member

Can I use any rotors of the correct diameter with any brand of brake?

More or less. There may be some floating rotors that don’t fit some calipers due to the rivets fouling. Also I’ve never had much luck with Hope rotors in shimano brakes but it might be just bad luck.

K

Only other thing really to check is that the pad isn’t too deep for the pad track of the rotor and going to prematurely wear the arms of the spider too thin or the full face of the pad isn’t going to run on the braking surface.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Disc pad/rotor compatibility?’ is closed to new replies.