Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Disc-compatible pannier racks
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I currently have an old rack bodged to clear my BB7’s on my uncle john. My tempory bodge has lasted 2 years … but won’t last much longer 🙂

I’d always intended to buy a Topeak Super Tourist disc:

… which has pronounced stubs to clear the disc caliper.

I’ve also noticed other, purportedly disc compatible, racks. These don’t seem to have the pronounced stubs, but are a) cheaper and b) slightly less like the forth rail bridge.

How do they manage to clear the caliper?

e.g.
    Madison Ridge Disc Pannier Rack

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26971

(There is also the new-ish ‘Topeak Explorer 29er MTX Rack’, which looks OK and uses the same stubs as the super tourist)

druidh
    Free Member

There is no such thing as a single, universal fit , disk-compatible rack.

FWIW, I use a Super Tourist on my Amazon and it has performed admirably.

The (rather more expensive) Tubus rack and disk brackets I bought would not fit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

long bolts

V brake spacers

any rack you want becomes a disk rack. Important issue is to space out both sides equally or it may rub the tire..

trail_rat
    Free Member

supertourist was a cheap way of fitting a rack to my fat bike though 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Whereas the Madison rack above fits my Fat bike really well 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’d agree with Trail Rat.

I bought a disc compatible rack of Wiggle a few years back (Lifeline I think?) for a tour of the Western Isles. The disc compatible part was just some longer bolts and a couple of tubular spaces. It’s carried some huge loads since without any problems.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

As I suspected druid, thanks 🙂

I’m going to have to buy another rack anyway, so it may as well be ‘disc compatible’ from the outset.

snipswhispers
    Free Member

got a super tourist disc rack. works great. being able to fix the topeak ‘trunk-bag’ (shop around) is a major bonus. very handy for lugging water and heavy stuff, keeping your rucsac lighter.

the 29er specific version looks interesting but lacks the extra side support/ struts of the regular super tourist rack.maybe they’ll homologate the 2 designs for 2013?

best of luck!

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve got a blackburn disc compatible one on my tourer, but I’ve 26″ wheels on my surly disctrucker. Perfectly happy with it, it doesn’t have the big spacers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Disc-compatible pannier racks’ is closed to new replies.