Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Disc Brakes – What should I be looking at these days?
  • Nobby

I’m about to go 2×10 on my AS-R which means my old dual-controls have to go. Have had Shimano brakes (XT & XTR) on my bikes for a few years now and never had a problem with them.

Was simply going to go with the new XTRs but is there anything else of a similar performance/weight/fit & forget nature I should be looking at? They need to be compatible with 160/180mm rotors as I have centre lock hubs.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Why not go with XTR again. I have Formula Oro’s, pretty fit and forget brakes and perform well. The leaver sometimes pops out in a crash, but you can pop it back in no problem.

njee20
    Free Member

The new XTRs are awesome, I absolutely love mine, wouldn’t look any further!

Check out the German shops for good deals.

Nobby

Just checking – been Shimano for so long I wondered if there was owt else worth a try.

njee20
    Free Member

There was for a while, but Shimano have upped their game massively with the latest generation I reckon I’d be hard pushed to find anything better.

Nobby

Gonna miss the dual controls/rapid rise though. 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

New Shimano, XTR or even just XT.

Formula R1’s used to be miles better, but not any more, and they’re still more expensive.

Looking to get some new XT’s myself soon. Only downer for me is apparently they take a new pad shape, and I’ve got a few sets of the old shape pads still.

uplink
    Free Member

There’s a thread from earlier today about cheap XT and XTR brakes from Rosecycles

njee20
    Free Member

Only downer for me is apparently they take a new pad shape, and I’ve got a few sets of the old shape pads still.

Yeah they do, Superstar do new shape pads though, so it’s not quite such an epic investment!

Nobby

I’ve got the older XTs on another bike so my spare pads will get used.

Thought the Rosebikes thing was just for the XT brakes – I’ll go & have a look.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Disc Brakes – What should I be looking at these days?’ is closed to new replies.