Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Disc brakes rubbing when climbing out of saddle – help!
  • HTTP404
    Free Member

Running shimano xt’s and when out of saddle climbing the front disc runs on the brake pads as the bike is moved side to side. It’s a rockshox fork and hope hubs on 717 rims.
    And all spokes are tight.

Any help or pointers please.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Guess its just the fork flexing. Dont know how you could remedy it aside from running a 20mm axle fork.

Perhaps adjust your climbing style slightly, make it a bit smoother.

Cant see it doing any damage though, nowt to worry about

cynic-al
    Free Member

true up the rotor

matt_outandabout

Do also check bearings in the hub – movement on them = rubbing disc.

HTTP404
    Free Member

It’s a new bike. The rotors are true.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the quick release is tight and fitted correctly ……

Driller
    Free Member

I usually find it’s down to play in the bearings, I’ve got the same issue with a brand new pair of Mavic Crossrides (rear wheel / brake).

pantsonfire
    Free Member

get some ear plugs and you wont be able to hear it

Its surprising how flexy wheels and forks are even the bolt through type if you dont believe me clamp the wheel between your thighs and twist the bars even with the stiffest XC fork there is a lot of flex.

If you relly want to hear some brake rub while your shagging the stem get yourself some old Rockshox SID forks they were about as stiff as wet spaghetti

cymohndee
    Free Member

The rotor is bolted to the hub, so its not a wheel issue. If your QR is tight and your pad alignment is OK and your caliper bolts are tight, then i’d look at play in the hub bearings. Try inverting the bike, stand on the handle bars to stop the forks moving and see if you can wiggle the wheel around. Look at all the areas where bits join onto other bits.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a new bike. The rotors are true.

I wouldn’t infer the latter from the former. I would take it back to the shop as its their problem IMO

13thfloormonk

I’ve solved this problem on someone else’s bike by replacing their old QR skewers with Shimano ones. They tightened that bit more effectively and stopped the flex that caused their wheel to hit the fork crown!

mk1fan
    Free Member

Sounds like fork / wheel flex to me, which is normal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes rubbing when climbing out of saddle – help!’ is closed to new replies.