Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Disc brakes on a budget. SLX or Deore?
  • st

Just about to buy a set of brakes and I’m trying to keep the cost down. I’ve got SLX (M666) on a couple of bikes but am trying to work out the differences with current Deores.

As far as I can see it’s just the lack of tool free reach adjusmtent and non ceramic pistons on the Deore.

I’ll be buying without rotors so no difference for me there and I wouldn’t buy finned pads after the initial set wears out.

Are there any other differences?

Ta.

banks
    Free Member

running the deore’s on me fancy bike. By no means budget brakes at all!

belugabob
    Free Member

If you’re on a budget, and you don’t need the tool free reach adjustment or finned pads, there’s no good reason to go above the Deore M596 brakes, as they’ll stop you just as well as the SLX.

Just get the bleed funnel (for about £3) and enjoy the ease with which they can be bled – then get out there and ride!

st

Thanks for that.

Funnel is sorted as I’ve had to do my SLXs a couple of times. finned pads not a concern, I won’t be going to the Alps anytime soon so ceramic pistons aren’t a worry. Tool free reach adjust is nice but no big deal.

Time to get ordering then…

mike399
    Free Member

Thinking of buying some of the budget deores myself and having a bit of a parts shuffle…
    Has anyone seen any good deals about?

st

Well I’ve just ordered a pair from Merlin for 90 quid. Cheaper at CRC and Rose Bikes but only 1 end in stock at each and I’m in a hurry so wanted to avoid too much faffing.

As it happens you could get a pair of SLXs from Rose for under £115!

All of this is without rotors though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got the Deores on my BFe and they’ve been great, especially for forty quid and end from CRC. I don’t miss the tool free reach adjustment because I haven’t changed my XT’s since I set them up. The quality of the castings isn’t as good as my XT’s because there are little dimples and imperfections in the blades but performance wise they’re spot on.

In fact the whole Deore groupset is looking really good these days both from a value and aesthetics point of view.

ajt123
    Free Member

If you get the SLX from Rose beware that they are left-front, right-rear.

Fortunately I got a set, but it is a pain.

iainc

If you are needing rotors I have a pair of 2013 slx ones that I have just taken off after 5 rides, so pretty much perfect. 180/160mm 6 bolt ones 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes on a budget. SLX or Deore?’ is closed to new replies.