Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Disc brakes
  • Pickers

Getting a bit fed up with the Juicy 5s on my bike.
    They work fine but are so damned noisy, unless I’m actually using them!
    Whistles, squeals, jangling when riding along, silent when applied.
    Had the pads out and cleaned them up at the weekend, no change.
    Front brake doesn’t run as freely as I’d like, maybe sticky piston? Rears are ok but still noisy.
    Because of this I find myself choosing my old HT with Vs on for most rides.
    Anybody got any ideas what to have a go at next?

mk1fan
    Free Member

It’s definately a set up issue. A tip from Avid. Push the pistons fully back. Line up the calliper centrally by eye first, nipping up the bolts. Then pump the brake until the rotor is clamped in place. Loosen the bolts and then retighten. Nip the bolts up one at a time ie don’t tighten one up fully then do the other one. Calliper should then be centralised.

Also, and this is true of all disc brakes, put a smear of copperslip on the back of the pads – where the piston presses it. Should dampen out alot of the noise.

Alternatively, out ’em for something else.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Some brakes just work, others don’t. I bellive this is a great deal to do with set up on the bike and if you have decent tight hubs.

Get the mountings properly faced so the caliper runs perpendicular to the disc.

If your hubs have a lot of lateral play, you will get the jangling sounds as you corner. It will be more noticeable the bigger the rotor you have fitted. Check your wheel bearings and make sure the pads aren’t too badly worn. I used to have closed brakes where you can wind the pads in and out so that they run close to the disc. This seemed to minimise the problem.

After 9 years of faffing, i’m not convinced there is anything you can do to completely eliminate problems. Just hope you get lucky and everthing works most of the time.

I have tried numerous Hope brakes and a set of Hayes Stroker’s. They all played up at various stages. I have just learned to live with the hassles.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.