Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Disc brake safety with non-QR skewers
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So, remember Controltech skewers from years ago? You can still get them, and I want to know what the engineering faction of STW think about their safety with discs. I used to run the old skool ones on Pace RC38s (without lawyers lips) with a 160mm disc and I had no problems. But perhaps more importantly, the knurled bits on the face of the bolts left imprints on the dropouts, which told me that they weren’t undoing themselves.

Still a ti skewer tho, which is stretchy…

mamadirt
    Free Member

Check the length before you buy (Halo do an XL version). I used one for a while but have recently swapped to a q/r on the front as I was a bit concerned that the skewer itself was only protruding into 2/3s of the nut (thick Bomber dropouts) – never had this with a q/r skewer. Reckon running a q/r also makes it easier to check that everything is tight before a ride.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends on your materials and the sizes of the threads and skewer itself, generally accepted in standard bolts/nuts is one thread less than full insertion is the minimum (but often inspectors will say one thread more because its easy to spot from a quick check). This will help you calculate:
    http://www.engineersedge.com/thread_strength/thread_minimum_length_engagement.htm

Sorry, that helps with the second point. Personally I wouldnt use them with discs as I’m fairly brutal on the brakes and have noodly shocks. If I were a 100lb woman riding fire roads I’d risk it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are they better or worse than QRs tho, that’s the question?

gingerflash

I reckon you can get an allen key skewer tighter than a normal QR.

That’s the main point of the allen key skewers, but I’m not sure the titanium ones are a great idea as it’s said they might stretch a little bit, allowing flex in the fork but also allowing the skewer to move in the drop-outs.

I use the steel Halo skewers. Whenever the wheel has to come off, they’re just as tight as ever and the steering seems a little better than with a normal QR, similar to the DT RWS 9mm skewer I have no worries about them at all.

retro83
    Free Member

I use the steel Halo skewers. Whenever the wheel has to come off, they’re just as tight as ever and the steering seems a little better than with a normal QR, similar to the DT RWS 9mm skewer I have no worries about them at all.

Be careful with those, I’ve had two of them fail – in both cases they snapped where the threads end on the rod. Can only think that I overtightened them, but I only did them finger tight with a normal allen key.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake safety with non-QR skewers’ is closed to new replies.