Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Disc brake rub under pedaling load. Aarggh!
  • ackie
    Free Member

Hi
    I've just built up a Kona Kula Supreme frame with 2008 Reba Team's.

Whenever I pedal hard I get rub sound from both the front and back rotors against the pads, but not when I'm riding straight.

I'm running XT centrelock disc brakes with a 180mm XTR rotor upfront and a 160mm XT rotor at the back with the appropriate mount adaptors.

Could this be fork flex or bad brake setup or just a symptom of being 12.5 stone lanky git on a XC hardtail?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Had this on a kona dawg – but it took a while to realise that it ws happening. The cause turned out to be slightly loose cones – when I loaded them up peddaling up a hill it mad ethe disc rub on the pads.

ackie
    Free Member

Ta for the reply Kitebikeski
    Were you running XT hubs?

RealMan
    Free Member

If its when cornering, then it is definetly something loose or something flexing. Check the hubs.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

No – shimano cheapo not XT – just another example of the crap components on the bike.

ackie
    Free Member

Ok. It's late but if anyone is interested… I've just checked the brakes and the calipers were very very close (1mm) to the rotors which were showing signs of chaffing.

I've jiggled em about abit which hopefully has improved matters.

As I've had one too many glasses of Merlot Del Veneto to check whether it's improved things, it will have to wait until the morning.

ta for the tips……

Oggles
    Free Member

I'd agree with the loose cones theory, had it on my old XT hubs. Rear brake rubbing when I was leaning the bike into a corner or under heavy pedalling. Tightened them up and all was fine 🙂

kitebikeski
    Free Member

It does make you wonder why there is so little clearance on some brakes. The hayes on the Dawg are definatly closer than the Shimano on the last bike.

Mackem

Check your QR's are done up tight, it's usually something this trivial.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake rub under pedaling load. Aarggh!’ is closed to new replies.