Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Disc brake pad installation problems
  • chubby_monk
    Free Member

All

I've got Avid juicy 5 disk brakes. Taken out old pads. Pushed pistons back. Got new pads with spring between. Can't get them to sit in caliper unit.

I've never changed pads before – am I missing something?

Cheers

Chubby

mrh86

Had this problem with Juicy 3s the other day (see my previous posts). I ended up pushing them in with a flat screwdriver :S. Definitely not the way you are supposed to do it!

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually need a good shove to locate the tags in the spring clip in the caliper, I usually grip the leg on the pad with pointed pliers to do it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The pistons need to go back much further than you might think!

nuke

Big screwdriver, push pistons back carefully. They're a pita. Did a set the other day: pushed pistons back and slotted new pads in on first attempt…was well chuffed until I noticed they'd pissed DOT fluid out from the levers…must have been the force used to push the pistons back. 😳

chubby_monk
    Free Member

cheers people. Apparently brute force is the key – giving them that extra little push with the end of a blunt instrument to get them to click in.

Just hope I didn't damage anything……

avdave2

Just had the same issue with BB7's which use the same pads. Inboard one was going in without problems but I had to use a lot more force on the outboard one.

Whyte1
    Free Member

before i take the old pads out i always slide my pen knife between the piston and the pad which works every time

Zoolander
    Free Member

My juicy 7s can sometimes be a little fiddly somedays it takes a bit of effort to insert the new pads and some days it's dead easy. Probably more to do with the pads than the caliper I'm sure.
    Oh and for pushing the pistons back a wooden spatula works well – just the right size, good leverage and less likely to break bits than a screwdriver or knife.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake pad installation problems’ is closed to new replies.