Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Disc brake cleaner
  • christof
    Free Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone has used this, or even know why it wouldn’t be a good idea to use it on the bike?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400564412678?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

At £3.17 it’s way cheaper than muc off and the like!

If it’s all good, I guess you could call this a PSA

Cheers, Christof

christof
    Free Member

Don’t worry, just found this. I guess I should of just done a google search!

http://forums.bikemagic.com/showthread.php/36672-Disc-brake-cleaner

mikey74
    Free Member

I bought some surgical spirit from Boots. It’s pretty cheap and works.

Edit: Not as cheap as that ^^^^^ though.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I use This

It cleans everything. Brakes, chains, mechs. Was given some to try but have since brought more. If you hunt around you can find it cheaper than that too. That was just the first advert I found. 🙂

Scapegoat

That second link is a bargain. No reason not to use it on a bike. I now avoid proprietary brake cleaner as it has things other than the active ingredient in it. IPA is what you need to degrease and clean brakes, why use additives? I made the mistake of using some “hydrating” brake cleaner which promised to eliminate brake squeal. It did indeed eliminate 100% of the brakes squeal, along with 95% of th braking.

It also cleans and degreases every other part of your bike, great for cleaning the frame before you helitape it for example.

ahwiles
    Free Member

fill kettle, boil, pour over disc, repeat.

never fails.

Marko

I use this (or similar) and have being doing for years. Never had a problem. I can never feel any oily residue on the pads or rotors.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thinking of a big can like that myself, does anyone make one in a ready to spray bottle (i know i could just use an empty one but i dont have one and am quite lazy like that)

i use jizer in a big can for degreaser, is this the brake disc equivalent?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If I’m cleaning a disc then just hot water.

If decontaminating then IPA is what I use.

xiphon
    Free Member

Hot water and Swarfega for me. Been doing it for years with great results…

teasel
    Free Member

thinking of a big can like that myself, does anyone make one in a ready to spray bottle (i know i could just use an empty one but i dont have one and am quite lazy like that)

Have a look at Shiny Hardware online. They stock large containers of IPA along with spray bottles. If you’re not feeling too lazy, that is… 😉

Marko

You need one of these to go with the cleaner. The Rolls Royce of spray bottles:

Mine are over 15 years old.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake cleaner’ is closed to new replies.