Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Disappointed with Calibre Bossnut
  • thesoundone
    Free Member

Hey,

I purchased a Bossnut V2 back in September ’17 after much deliberation between it and the Boardman Team FS. I ended up getting the Bossnut because based on reviews, I felt it would stand up to the kind of trails I wanted to ride on it.

Anyway, I got the 17.5 inch Bossnut and have taken it out quite a lot over the winter and mostly enjoyed it but the weight issue (14.5 kg as advertised) has always bothered me a bit (particularly dragging it up climbs in the peaks). I originally had an RSP dropper post on it but thats gone as it failed and also, it was just too bloody heavy. I then started shedding weight in other areas and so far I’ve:

1) gone tubeless front and back

2) put a set of Renthal Fatbar Lite’s on.

3) put a set of NukeProof Neutron flat pedals on.

I weighed all the bits before I upgraded them and I’ve lost about 600 grams off the original weight all told, which I’m pretty happy with…

Until yesterday…

After my ride I washed the bike and decided to weigh it to double check everything (mostly because it still feels heavy to ride). It turns out that as of now the bike weighs 16Kg. Thats 1.5 Kg more than the standard weight published by Go Outdoors.

My question is: is this normal for bikes to be so far over their advertised weight? I definitely would not have purchased the bike if I’d have known from the outset.

It would be good to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Cheers!

joebristol

The quoted weight is probably for the smallest frame size with no pedals fitted. That does sound really heavy though….

bonobo
    Free Member

You get what you pay for??

Is it a full suspension bike for a grand and did you get to try it in the shop??

Is it still a good bike for the money?

thesoundone
    Free Member

Mine is the smallest frame sadly 🙁

joebristol

It is a cheap full suss I get – never going to be light – but even still, it’s quite a lot heavier than quoted. Are your scales accurate though?

cdoc
    Free Member

16kg is considerably more than my mates which is around 13kg after a few upgrades (medium frame).

You sure that you haven’t filled the seat tube with water when washing it?!

How accurate are the scales?

nairnster
    Free Member

What the scales say is just a number.

As long as you enjoy how it rides and it does what you want then does it matter what the scales claim.

At the end of the day though it’s never going to be as light as a long travel alu Giant Trance.

jamesoz

A quick google suggests an xl weighed by reviewers at 14.9kg, so something isn’t right.

Different tyres can make a huge difference in feel/weight.

hugo
    Free Member

Cheap wire bead tyres can be a killer on weight.

Or, as has previously been said, tubes full of water/mud.

rickon
    Free Member

It also depends on whether or not your scales are calibrated and accurate. Could well be reading incorrectly for that low a weight…

thesoundone
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Not sure about water in the tubes but I will check tomorrow. I’ve fitted maxxis tyres (highroller ii up front and ardent at the rear) and both are lighter than the original tyres.

I’ve weighed it on two different sets of scales and both come out the same.

I’m completely stumped by this. I’ve messaged calibre so will see what they say.

dannyh
    Free Member

Depends very much on your view of riding in general and how you approach things.

Ive got a Bossnut and a Dartmoor Primal hardtail. I’ve really enjoyed riding the Calibre in the Peaks. Sure, it’s a bit heavy and wallowy on the ups, but after more than a decade of being beaten shitless by hardtails in the Dark Peak (admittedly having a lot of fun to boot), I’ve loved the extra comfort and control of the Calibre on the rocks. It feels like I’ve got more to give after three or four rocky descents.

Then, getting back to my usual local trails, I love getting back on the lighter hardtail.

Horses for courses and a grand for a bike as capable as the Bossnut is a steal these days (ever since 08/09).

It helps that the Bossnut and the Primal are very similar in geometry and size terms, so jumping off one onto the other is easier.

thesoundone
    Free Member

Yep, don’t get me wrong I love riding it even though it’s a bit of a slouch on the climbs. It handles great for a bike that costs a grand. I’m just really disappointed that it weighs 1.5 kg more than the standard weight as advertised on the website. And that’s after shedding 600 grams 🙁

simondbarnes

You can see why most manufacturers don’t publish weights 🙂

MrAgreeable

I suspect your scales are on the squiff. 16 kg is nearly 36 lb, and the size M I tested wasn’t anything like as hefty as that.

Review: Calibre Bossnut V2

Also, reading between the lines, it’s winter, the trails are in a state, and people naturally tend to ride less. I’m on about 60% fitness if that, so that magical feeling of dancing up a climb on the pedals is a couple of months off, if it’s going to make an appearance at all.

If you want a financial solution, the wheels are fairly burly and not great at staying in true, even though the tubeless thing is cool. There will be some good tubeless-compatible 15mm front/QR rear wheel sets knocking about second hand that will shave a fair bit of weight off your bike where you can feel it.

Poopscoop

First mistake is to weigh it. I’ve got a pretty heavy carbon FS myself.

I don’t care at all. I knew it’s “burly” build comes at the cost of weight. I’ve even replaced things with new parts that weigh more because they are the parts I wanted to fit.

There is no reason to be disappointed mate.

You have a genuinely great fs. Don’t let the weight thing get into your head as you will just think of it every time there is a hill to climb.

We all want lighter bikes bud, it’s the nature of the hobby. 😊

jonnyboi

The bossnut isn’t a 16kg bike. So either something is wrong with your scales or you’ve added weight.

What it is, is a well sorted, fun, budget full susser for having a blast on. If you want to fly up hills either train hard or get a full carbon 29er for £6k.

My point being, enjoy your bike, as it’s great. Because right now you seem to resent it, which I’m sure isn’t fun or positive.

rOcKeTdOg

Not sure messaging calibre is going to make any difference to the weight. If it rides well and you like it I’d not stress about it

thesoundone
    Free Member

I just emptied a tiny bit of water out of the seat tube. Rotated it around for a while too to make sure I got it all. My scales aren’t wrong unfortunately. I’ve tried it across two different sets along with my own weight, which I know.

I haven’t added weight either because I weighed all the bits as they came off and went on.

It’s a mystery. Thanks for all the comments everyone, I’ll just get on now and ride it 😉

jonnyboi

Were you using bathroom scales?

thesoundone
    Free Member

Initially, yes. I then went around the corner to the vets where a friend works and used the digital set in there. (Me holding the bike and subtracting my own weight. Both come out with the same weight.

DickBarton

Are you sure what you replaced is lighter? Tubeless (and liquid) is either same weight or heavier (in my limited experience)…all that weight will make you stronger and the bike will most likely stay on track more when going down.

Get some squats going and enjoy the weight as a challenge…you have a very capable bike but is is considered ‘cheap’ so it won’t be light…

woodster

16kg without a dropper sounds high to me, I really doubt that’s the case but you could probably pop down to your LBS and check. Still a couple of kgs off really doesn’t make as much difference as you’d think, going uphill is hard work regardless and the best way to make it easier is to ride more.

I’ve gone from a bike over 34lb to one at 31 with better climbing characteristics and it still feels just as tiring as ever.

K

I would not trust subtracting your weight, I used this method for the bike bag for flying and it turned out my digital bathroom scales said I was under the limit, at that airport it was more than 2kg over the allowed weight.

jameso

Initially, yes. I then went around the corner to the vets where a friend works and used the digital set in there. (Me holding the bike and subtracting my own weight. Both come out with the same weight.

Don’t know about you but my weight can vary +/- 1kg during the day. Our weight isn’t a reliable constant.

Bathroom scales are only any use because you use them in the same place to weigh the same thing each time. Get the bike alone on a proper digital balance, don’t include the large margin of error that comes from your 70-90kg (at a guess) weight going into the calculation.

Also, don’t let us kid ourselves that 1.5kg makes a difference to anyone but a very power-to-weight tuned roadie. It’s 2 medium bottles full of water, no big deal.

jimwah
    Free Member

Have a look at picking up some cheap Fishing scales if it’s really bothering you, I’ve use my carp fishing scales which go up to 50 pounds, I use a short loop of fabric around the top tube to hang the bike from. It’s far from perfect technique and I only use it to get an idea of the weight of whatever frankenstein bike I’ve built 😀 There’s defo too many variables in the mix if you’re weighing yourself + bike on scales together.

martymac

My wife’s hardtail cube ebike is only 18kg, there must be something wrong with your scales surely?

either that or both my sets of scales are **** too of course.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I have a Medium which I haven’t made any changes to. I will weigh it tonight and let you know what it comes in at

thesoundone
    Free Member

Thanks, that would be really useful to know.

thesoundone
    Free Member

If you want a financial solution, the wheels are fairly burly and not great at staying in true, even though the tubeless thing is cool. There will be some good tubeless-compatible 15mm front/QR rear wheel sets knocking about second hand that will shave a fair bit of weight off your bike where you can feel it.

Thanks, what wheels would you recommend? I’ve looked at Stans Flow and they seem to be good. Any other suggestions? I’m on a bit of a budget with this bike…

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Did you get another dropper or you not using one just now?

prawny

I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s just a number. I don’t know how much any of my bikes weigh, road bikes included, I’ve just never felt the need to weigh them.

It’s all about the ride innit.

thesoundone
    Free Member

No, I’ve not replaced the RSP one I had (I wouldn’t recommend it either). I’ve gone back to the standard seat post for now and honestly I haven’t missed the dropper at all. I actually found that I was thinking more about what height it should be at, rather than enjoying the ride. Probably my lack of skill more than anything 🙂

thesoundone
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s just a number. I don’t know how much any of my bikes weigh, road bikes included, I’ve just never felt the need to weigh them.

It’s all about the ride innit.

Yep, I think you’re right 🙂 Although, when I go up a hill on my mates mtb which is much lighter than mine, It does feel easier!

prawny

There’s a simple solution to that 😉

thesoundone
    Free Member

Yes, steal my mates mtb! Haha.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

No, I’ve not replaced the RSP one I had (I wouldn’t recommend it either). I’ve gone back to the standard seat post for now and honestly I haven’t missed the dropper at all. I actually found that I was thinking more about what height it should be at, rather than enjoying the ride. Probably my lack of skill more than anything

Does your seat post go all the way down? Mine sticks out the frame by 80mm and that’s as low as it will go

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I’ve also not figured out how to quote someone properly

thesoundone
    Free Member

Can’t actually remember if it goes all the way down or not. Maybe you could cut it down a bit? No doubt that’s a terrible idea that someone will correct if necessary 😂

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve been looking into cutting it down until I get a dropper. I should have enough on it to take off what I need and still leave enough in the frame at riding height. Was just wondering if you had the same issue

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Disappointed with Calibre Bossnut’ is closed to new replies.