• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nre.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dirty dan?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

I’m slowly starting to ponder getting a mud specific tyre(s) as the rain isn’t letting up really and apparently Met Office long term forecast is for wet for the foreseable (till end feb if you believe them).

Used for XC riding and racing. I’ve been relying on rocket rons but at the soggy bottom on sunday they just clogged into a ball of sliding pain.

I was wondering about getting a dirty dan for the rear in 2.0 flavour and either keeping the rocket ron on the front, of getting another dirty dan or something else. Has anyone used the d.d and care to provide a review? There seems to be minimal ‘official’ reviews of the xc version.

I don’t think I’m racing again till llandegla mid march so maybe its not necessary anyway.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I used to run a DD on my Demo, it’s a big tyre and you’ll feel it on a mile muncher.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was given some skinny 26 Dirty Dans, they look perfect for XC racing.

Don’t have a mud tyre on one wheel though – you do also need to go round corners and stop in the mud! Definitely use two.

oldejeans
    Free Member

i tried a 2.35″ DD on the front for a big ride in november and the occasional improved performance in deep mud wasn’t enough to offset the weight (DH, wire bead) and poor rolling resistance. I hurt for days

ferrals
    Free Member

From what i could find online, I got the impression the wider DH one and the 2.0 version are very different beasts – the evo liteskin is apparently 510g. My two concerns are just how much increasing in rolling resistance there will be and also whether it would be any good on the front as the review i found said it was scary on anything non-mud such as rooty sections.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Specialized Storm? I ran one on the back of my trail bike for a while a couple of years ago and really liked it, a bit like a skinner version of the shorty I’m running now!

Agree with the others – you need more grip front and rear.

Shackleton

Bonty Mud-X 2.0 also a good choice front and rear (probably my favourite).

Maxxis Beaver also good. 2.0 is better for mud, 2.25 makes a good wet trail tyre.

nre
    Free Member

I have a pair of Dirty Dans 26×2.00 folding bead for sale if of any use, the light ones (495g I think). One has some wear (~50% ish), one has minimal wear…

Were my winter tyres prior to moving to 27.5…

To answer the question, I got on well with them and didn’t find them too draggy…!

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m on 27.5 too – are you still using them for 27.5 or found some great better?

Thanks for the other suggestions all

nre
    Free Member

Only just moved to 27.5 and running the stock tyres at the mo (racing ralphs). They haven’t been out in the mud yet 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dirty dan?’ is closed to new replies.