Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • directional arrows on Nobby Nicks tyres
  • manitou
    Free Member

is it just me or do they seem to be pointing the wrong way? .I tend to thing the nobbly bits of tread should “point in the direction of travel.. yet following the directions on the sidewall seems to have the opposite effect.. any other NN users out there agree?

wwaswas

imagine the footprint when it’s on the ground – will be reveres of what you see from the top.

normally, you have a more draggy footprint run one way and faster/less grip the other with directional tread tyres.

I often run them draggy at rear for grip but ‘right way round’ at front.

manitou
    Free Member

the footprint of the tyre is round the wrong way.. at least for the front tyre.. ok for back as the tread will bite in more. Ive run directional tyres before.. arrow pointing forwards for front tyre and arrow backwards for rear tyre.. thes NN just seem wrong to me

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have you heard of King Canute ? 😕

eddie11
    Free Member

Yes nobby nick arrows look the wrong way round but aren’t. They are meant to run that way even though it looks wrong especially compared to an eskar which is similar sipes (sp?) in the knobs but runs the other way. That said the wheel will still go round either way

chiefgrooveguru

I see the knobs aren’t ramped but the arrows certainly look the wrong way round for the edge knob siping. And the edge knobs point inwards on the outside which means they want to creep/crab that way (the wrong way). How bizarre!

Nobby

They’ve always been that way. I can remember turning up at a group ride & 3 of the others mocked me for having my Nics on the wrong way round…..until I suggested they look at the directional arrows Schwalbe had taken the time to mold onto the sidewalls.

Whilst it does look ‘wrong’ you can notice the diffrence if you swap ’em round.

br
    Free Member

Ignore them, you know best…

manitou
    Free Member

Phew!.. its not just me then! 🙂

P20

Didn’t the older Nics run opposing front and rear? I’m happy with the direction indicated

brakes
    Free Member

they do look a bit wrong at first glance. mate of mine ran Nobby Nics the wrong way round for a few months when they first came out and wondered what all the fuss was about, it was a revelation when he turned them the right way round that they did live up to the hype.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

b r – Member

Ignore them, you know best…

+1 Why should a tyre company with all their R&D and experience know better..

brakes
    Free Member

with all their R&D

it’s not uncommon for some bike companies to use consumers as their R&D function… once marketing have designed their products.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Think we both know thats not the case here

birky
    Free Member

Happened before with Conti motorbike tyres …

“The orientation of the ContiRoad Attack front has recently been revised. Conti Germany responded to feed-back from the UK and other markets about maximising the already incredible durability of the original front tread pattern. After the launch of the ContiSport Attack test riders commented on the fact that the reversed tread direction gave much more uniform wear across the tyres section and so the ContiRoad Attack front pattern was switched in late October 2006 to take advantage of this better wear characteristic. Some confusion exists because some European plants outside of Germany have a tread mould with small arrows at the edge of the tread near the sidewall, these arrows should be ignored. These moulds are being replaced. ContiRoad attack customers may be offered the same tyre with apparently two different directions of rotation. The tread pattern on both tyres is fine. Riders should be aware that all relevant and legally required information regarding speed rating and direction of rotation is moulded into the side-wall of the tyre, not the tread, so be sure your tyre is fitted in accordance with the directional arrow on the sidewall regardless of which way the pattern runs.” 😕

transapp
    Free Member

Nobby Nics used to different ways for front and rear (and said so on the side wall). In fact, there’s a bike radar test where it even says that they are now run the same way around, which is how everyone did anyway.
    I still know that the evo’s have cheese side walls and the snakeskins have cheese blocks. Damn good when new though.

Edit: Here it is

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/review-schwalbe-nobby-nic-snakeskin-225in-tyre-10-37733

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘directional arrows on Nobby Nicks tyres’ is closed to new replies.