Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Direct Drive Turbo trainers
  • Stoner
    Free Member

A knackered second hand magnetic Elite turbo trainer has given up the ghost.

Fortunately the daylight is returning and Mrs Stoner can leave the shed behind her and go out on the roads again. But before next autumn Im going to need to replace it with something. She is coached with workouts via Training Peaks, sync’d to her Garmin watch. We have various garmin cadence and rev/speed sensors already.

To try and minimise space taken up in the shed Id like to have a go at building a bike to a direct drive turbo. Its probably an opportunity to get something smarter with some kind of integrated power meter, although if that makes things v pricey Id rather get a power meter pedal or NDS crank arm and have the use of it inside and out.

What’s brands and models should I be looking for? Trying not to spend a fortune as Ive only just built up a new race bike for her, and second hand would be an option. Id like to look out for something heavily discounted in the summer season too.

scaled
    Free Member

Budget vs features here really.

If you’re only looking for direct drive then the Elite turbo muin is what i’ve got http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-smart-turbo-trainer plus BC discount at halfords is £260

If i had my time again though i’d have spent a bit more and gone for a fully smart option, http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-direto-direct-drive-turbo-trainer is £606 from halfords with BC discount and a few STW zwifters are rating it already.

TiRed

Reconditioned/used Wahoo Kickr. Pay £600 for a mk1. £700 for a mk2 and £850 for a mk3. There is no real difference between a mk2 and a mk3 other than the ability to use the climb add-on (to raise front of the bike). The mk2 has a very useful handle. Someone on here is selling an unused mk3 for £700. If I had not bought the reconditioned mk2, I’d have gone for that.

There is no comparison with a wheel-on trainer, the flywheel makes for fantastic road feel, which is really what you are paying for above the mid-price Elite Direto. If you aren’t bothered about automatic control of resistance (which is a nice feature for workouts and climbing simulation), the cheaper dumb Elite is a good buy, but you can also get a reconditioned Snap for the same price.

Don’t be scared to pay a little more, because they are so much better to ride than an old-fashioned turbo trainer. I hated my Tacx Sartori, but two hours passes quickly on Zwift. In fact, you may find going outside to ride a pfaff!

mrchrispy

Splash the cash and get a decent smart trainer.

they. are. ace

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers guys. Savings target acquired then!

lunge

Budget vs features here really.

If you’re only looking for direct drive then the Elite turbo muin is what i’ve got http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-smart-turbo-trainer plus BC discount at halfords is £260

If i had my time again though i’d have spent a bit more and gone for a fully smart option, http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-direto-direct-drive-turbo-trainer is £606 from halfords with BC discount and a few STW zwifters are rating it already.

Scaled, are you me? The Muin is cracking, so much better than my old “dumb” trainer, but the Directo is meant to be a  very good bit of kit indeed.

Tiger6791

Been using a Direto for a few weeks now and love it.

Stoner
    Free Member

Will keep an eye on the Direto over the next 6 months then and wait for a killer sale.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Another directo user. Again, only for a few weeks, but it’s a good bit of kit.

bluebird
    Free Member

The Direto is the trainer to beat at that price range according the DC Rainmaker. It’s on my want list for next winter.

Stoner
    Free Member

Out of interest what do people think about going for a Muin with a power meter crank arm versus the Direto?

Muin £250 + 4iiii Precision crank arm powermeter £ 380 = £630ish and I can put the arm on the TT race bike

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve not looked but is the Muin smart? I’m still on an old school trainer with a crank power meter and it’s less than ideal trying to find the ideal resistance / gear / cadence to match a power. Especially for short intervals.  If I was upgrading I’d go smart so all I had to do was turn the pedals…

TiRed

I’d get the Direto – when I was looking Halfords were out of stock though. Has the most accurate power meter in the business, and you will soon tire of swapping cranks. You want a trainer that is always at the ready, no messing, just change clothes and away. Then it becomes second nature.

With the money I saved on the KICKR, I bought a single sided Assioma Uno. Swapping a single pedal is a lot faster than a crank, but I’m still tempted to buy a second though. BUUUUT… The single sided Assioma only sends HALF power by Bluetooth, which means it can’t yet run properly on Zwift with iOS (ANT is fine). There is a workaround with a HR strap, but it is a factor. I plan on using it on my fixed wheel on the rollers.

Stoner
    Free Member

ok, useful. cheers. power metering on the race bike can wait for a bit then

lunge

The Muin does measure power so no need for a power meter, it is smart in that it talks via BlueTooth and ANT+. What it doesn’t do is offer the changing resistance that makes Zwift that bit more engaging.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Direct Drive Turbo trainers’ is closed to new replies.