Dinosaur Jr. Any other fans?

Home Forum Chat Forum Dinosaur Jr. Any other fans?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Dinosaur Jr. Any other fans?
  • Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

The latest release appeared on Spotify recently which prompted a play through a few of the old albums. Green Mind, Without a Sound and Bug have all had a whirl and I realised it’s 30years since I heard Freak Scene! I’ve only saw them once live but they have been a regular play all that time and to me it hasn’t dated. I also reckon Just Like Heaven trumps The Cure too.

tdog

Got one of their older albums and they’re alright tbf.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Sorry, you’ll have to speak up a bit…….

CountZero

Pardon?

Saw them some time back in a small Bristol venue, Fiddlers. Bloody brilliant, I’ve got one of Lou’s picks, very well worn, with the little bird sitting on a finger on one side, an the yellow cloud face on the other.

Did I say they were loud?

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Reading next week. Can’t wait!!

(Have ear plugs)

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Love em. One of the few old bands I can still listen to regularly and, weirdly enough I saw them in a club in Reading too!

Green Mind has the best sleeve of any album ever. 🙂

Boba Fatt

Love them

The “30 years” gigs they did last year looked great

arrpee

Another fan here. One of the best gigs I ever attended was Jay Mascis at King Tuts, backed by Mike Watt and Ron Asheton.

scruff

Yep, brilliant. Saw them alot and still listen to them.

chomp

seeing them for the first time in Bristol next week – have been a fan for years and they always bring a smile when they come on when shuffled 🙂

Premier Icon mark d
    Subscriber

Massive fan.

Seen them a few times, will also be at Sub89 next week. Great little venue.

Last time they were there I had ringing in my ears for days, earplugs this time!

Premier Icon paulhaycraft
    Subscriber

Yep, Roundhouse next Friday! Well gutted when they cancelled in December just a few hours before the gig.

Premier Icon andyha
    Subscriber

Great band and so is Sebadoh

I feel the pain of everyone…

Then, I feel nothing

Rob Hilton

Reading next week. Can’t wait!!

Quite tempted by this – not really a fan, but the dearth of a music scene in the ding means that when a decent band plays it’s something to be savoured.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

trying to sort it to get to sub89 myself…….. with earplugs.

STW moshpit?

Boba Fatt

STW Moshpit Yesterday

Big fan saw them in ’93 at Reading. Good and loud.

Premier Icon bodgy
    Subscriber

Yup, love ’em. Regularly used to strut my funky stuff to them, pissed in Spiders on a Saturday night.

Premier Icon bodgy
    Subscriber

Just Like Heaven trumps The Cure too

Err . . . no.

corroded

First gig I ever went to. Either them or the Lemonheads. Now on a Sebadoh Youtube binge.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Back in the late 80’s I saw them a couple of times, and the second time I had the privilege to meet them all and hang out and drink their rider (red stripe mostly). I was roped into selling t-shirts for their record company and witnessed J blowing up his third amp of the tour in soundcheck. The replacement arrived about a 1/2 hour before kick off so he finished the soundcheck on stage. Lou kept on battering out the Gigantic bassline and winding everybody up. They did covers of Barmy Army (it was in Edinburgh and J is/was a massive Exploited fan), Minor Threat and there was a girl in tow that had massive head of pleats who came on to sing Sweet Child o Mine. I can still see them flying through the air back and forwards as she headbanged 😊 It was awesomez. that was probably the best gig of my life.

Afterwards I went from pretty much a no. 1 to not cutting my hair for 6 months. My sister even walked past me in the pub!

i thought the real star was Lou and when J kicked him out I kind of lost interest. But I did kind of mainline Yr Living all over me for a period of time…

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

Yes.My missus loves them. Bug was a soundtrack to many a bedroom party. 🙂

He did an awesome track with Mew a few years back.

tbh ,I was more of a mudhoney fan. 🙂

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I was going to say one of the more recent albums Farm is my favourite  but then I realised it was released in 2009! Bloody hell, where does the time go!

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Subscriber

I’ve only just got into them, our library had a copy of I Bet on Sky and I love it.  Feels quite poppy to how I imagine they normally sound.  Just got You’re Living all Over Me but not listened to it properly yet.

sbob

Been there, still got the T shirt:

Related image

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Is Lou Barlow still playing bass with them? To those seein them live – watch him (if he is!) – I never realised how amazing a bass player he is til I saw him playing live. Absolutely mesmerising!

duckman

“Said the people” is one of my favourite songs of the last few years.

For those going to the upcoming UK live shows, make sure you get there in time to see the support act. It’s a solo set from Stephen McBean, the main man from the awesome band Black Mountain. Well worth checking out.

lambchop

Fan since  ’88, seen them a few times most recently at Brixton with my son who was 14 at the time. Bug is still my favourite Dino album but I love YLAOM and Where You Been.

soobalias

saw them at benicassim last summer, which was nice, been a fan for longer than I care to remember

Boba Fatt

Is Lou Barlow still playing bass with them?

Yes, he J and Murph reformed for the Beyond album a few years back and have put out another 3 albums since

shermer75

Saw them supporting The Melvins a few years back, great sound live! 🙂

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

The only song I know to reference Steve Malkmus, Lou Barlow  and a certain J Buckley:

Premier Icon angeldust
    Subscriber

Got one of their older albums and they’re alright tbf.

Jesus, you need to turn down the enthusiasm down a few notches.

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

Dug out the old ticket stub, I’ve no recollection of the other bands nor if I’m honest much about that night.

Seems I’m back to square one working out how to post Flickr pics……..

Ticket stub.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

I love them. Often on in the car.

You’re wrong about the Cure mind…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

saw them at benicassim last summer

I caught them there 10 years ago. TBH they were hard (and v loud) going after a couple of days of debauchery.

Call me a philistine, but I prefer their recorded output to their live sound, based on that experience anyway.

Freak Scene is one of the all-time great indie-rock tunes IMO, a perfect combination of melody and noise. And their version of Just Like Heaven is one of the best covers evs.

Love that they’re still going, doing their own thing and keeping the quality level up.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Only problem I had with them live, was they seemed to wilfully play all their more obscure songs. Got away with it though and gotta be better than one of those play-the-complete-album-in-order gigs  yeuch.

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

I do like both.Some days it’s The Cure,some days it’s Dinosaur Jr, sometimes it’s in between days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.