Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ding + Tubeless = fail?
  • Crell
    Free Member

I managed to whack my rear rim riding a while ago and put a nice ding in to the sidewall. Not a problem until I decided to go tubeless. It's a DT4.2 with a 2.1 UST nobby nic. It will inflate but even if the bike's just standing upright for no reason after say 30 minutes (insert random number – sometimes over a day) it totally fails the seal. Basically I don't want to trust it on a longer ride. Is it worth trying some tape on there to try to maintain the bead / rim contact, or should I bite the bullet and rebuild it with a new rim? (not intending to go back to tubes)

Cheers!

wwaswas

I've had a couple of dings – I just use an adjustable spanner to bend the rim back straight and it seems to be ok runnign tubeless.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what my esteemed wigged buddy said.

Crell
    Free Member

Yep, done that; well at least as close to straight as I can manage but it still seems to want to let go of all its air in a pretty spectacular way. Just wondered if there was anything else to think about?

doug_basqueMTB.com

I did the same with a fairly big ding. It resulted in some small cracks in the sidewall but I bunged some superglue in there and it's sealed perfectly!

Totally bodged or what!!! It's lasted a full season of biking though…

Crell
    Free Member

Novel Doug 😆 – having just recovered from a smashed ankle and leg I don't really fancy another inpatient stay or adding to the collection of metal I now have 🙂 (which probably answers my question in itself !)

doug_basqueMTB.com

It's all calculated risk and tactical necessity isn't it! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are using sealant?

STATO
    Free Member

Are you using the DT tubeless kit or a Stans rubber rimstrip (or ghetto for that matter?).

glenh
    Free Member

I can only assume you aren't using sealant, which seems crazy to me.

Cue reply telling me that you are….

gingerflash

"I've had a couple of dings – I just use an adjustable spanner to bend the rim back straight and it seems to be ok runnign tubeless. "

I concur.

I have loads of dents on my rims, some crudely straightened, some not. no problems sealing at all.

Try putting loads more sealant in there. I agree that runnign tubeless, UST or not, without sealant seems a bit daft.

Trimix
    Free Member

Why make life so hard for yourself ?

Use a tube, pump it up and life will get better 🙂

specializedneeds

And you'll only have to fix punctures on the trail rather than faff at home in your spare time, er no thanks: tubeless for me.

Four trail side tyre faffs in three years = convinced. Last ride out my group had six punctures IN ONE RIDE, not me.

specializedneeds

Doh!

Crell
    Free Member

Rim strip (DT IIRC) with (a lot of) Stans sealant in there. It would be a bit pointless without sealant 🙂

Maybe time to try bending the rim a little more.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Crell, is your sealant leaking out where the ding is? It seems strange that it's not sealing it.

A thought. Are you pumping it up and then leaving it without riding it? Is the sealant definitely getting to the bit that it needs to seal?

Crell
    Free Member

Good point Doug. Not leaking, it just totally fails (somewhere) on the seal after I pump it up. Since I fitted the tubeless setup on that bike though, I haven't done any real distance bar on the drive to move the sealant around, plus turning the pedals when it's on the stand. Each time I've refitted it I've not ridden it…just pumped it up. I will put some miles on it and see how it fares! I don't really fancy it going bang on a downhill somewhere though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ok so you don't know it's the ring that's causing it…and it's not getting ridden to distribute the sealant.

Try latter and revert please!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I'm with the cynic-al! I think you need to ride it to get the sealant moving around and to the bits it needs to get to. I'd take it easy and not go too far but I wouldn't be too worried about a rear tyre going bang, I've had it happen a few times and it wasn't too traumatic!

Hope this sorts if for you!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ding + Tubeless = fail?’ is closed to new replies.