• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dignity in dying
  • Dickyboy

As some of you will know my sister in law opted to use the services of dignitas 11 days ago after MS had taken away most of her physical abilities. To be able to use their services you have to be able to administer the drugs yourself with no outside assistance, I can imagine nothing worse than my brother having to watch his wife of 36yrs go through such a process on top of which he has to self isolate for 14days on returning from Switzerland and be interviewed under caution by the police tomorrow. He will get a swiss death certificate which I presume will state the final cause of death, rather than the MS & inoperable cancers which would have ended her life “naturally” in way less than 2yrs anyway. Luckily they were able to afford the Dignitas fees but my brother now has no income as he was her full time carer and clearly her allowances are now stopped. They were/are an active cycling family, from cycling to Israel and back for a honeymoon, going car free with two small kids in the 90’s and being pedalled around sat in her wheelchair in what I can only describe as a glorified ice cream trike this summer 😀 My heart goes out to all the MS sufferers and carers out there.

Not looking for or asking for any sympathy, just a reminder to love life and keep on doing what you love whilst you still can. Dignity in dying – my SIL had it by the bucketful. Thanks DB.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Terry Pratchets Dimbleby lecture is worth a watch.

Coyote
    Free Member

I fully understand that we need to have safeguards to prevent abuse, but it is beyond me that we can’t as a society have a meaningful debate about this and move towards helping people choose their time of dying.

Thoughts are with you and your family and glad that your sister-in-law managed to achieve the dignity she desired.

robbo1234biking

I can only echo Coyote – at a bare minimum remove the need to interview someone under caution who is grieving.

Thoughts are with you.

MoreCashThanDash

Difficult time for you. My sympathies seem pathetically inadequate compared to what you must all be going through.

I don’t understand how it is legally possible in the UK to do better for your pets than for your loved ones. There needs to be a proper discussion and debate in this country about what is required and what safeguards are needed.

tjagain

Its a topic close to my heart and one where I find it difficult to be objective given what I have seen both personally and professionally.

I would like the choice to be available to everyone

A thread from a while ago that i started to discuss this – some really good info from people and some good debate

Dignity in Dying

Dickyboy

Thanks for the thoughts, just when we thought it couldn’t get any worse, her brother died of cancer last night – he just wanted to make it to see he eldest son get married next month ☹️

tjagain

That really is tough. My heart goes out to you

sorry for the thread kill / Hijack earlier

Dickyboy

No worries TJ – I read through the other thread and was reassuring to see medical professionals on the case so to speak. Just speachless right now.

smudgey
    Free Member

If he was claiming carers allowance then this continues for 2 months after the person being cared fors death. I’m sorry your family has had to go through this.

Drac

Sorry to hear about your tough time you’re going through.

Absolutely we should be allowed to choose a similar service in the U.K. when faced with terminal or devastating life changing conditions. Slowly seeing more people setting up end of life for themselves or relatives, it’s some what easier to give them that wish then futile treatment that was always expected.

gonefishin
    Free Member

PFffft that is a tough time you and your family are having right now and I’m sorry for your losses.

Having recently been diagnosed with MS myself this isn’t something that has even crossed my mind that things might come to this; certainly food for thought.

ust a reminder to love life and keep on doing what you love whilst you still can

That said this is something that has been generally on my mind and long term planning is certainly something that I’ve started to consider.

Dickyboy

Got interviewed under caution on Saturday for the heinous crime of driving my brother and sister in law to the airport, police were very good, worryingly lots of detail I really couldn’t remember, should know in new year if cps will take it any further (apparently very unlikely). Fortunately my brother is in a good place, thanks for all the replies.

sadexpunk

sheesh, my heart goes out to you mate. and….

I don’t understand how it is legally possible in the UK to do better for your pets than for your loved ones. There needs to be a proper discussion and debate in this country about what is required and what safeguards are needed.

+1

steamtb

So very sad, thinking of you all.

There does need to be meaningful discussion around this. Earlier this year I spent a week at my dying fathers bedside; there was no doubt that he was going to die but I wish it didn’t have to be after a week of agony and suffering that followed many months of suffering. It’s not something I will ever forget. Patients and family need the option for dignity.

IHN

I fully understand that we need to have safeguards to prevent abuse, but it is beyond me that we can’t as a society have a meaningful debate about this and move towards helping people choose their time of dying.

This. I always find it ironic that people will euthanise suffering pets as it’s “humane”, but won’t do the same for actual humans.

Thoughts to your family Dickyboy

alcolepone
    Free Member

I remember some American comic said, freedom should also include the freedom to end one’s own life.

It made me think, and as everyone else has said this needs a good public conversation, as medical treatment has advanced so much, but societies response hasn’t….

drnosh
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear that. Nothing I can say will ease the pain.

Please look after your brother now. He will need you.

dannybgoode

Nothing useful I can add re: the debate than what everyone else has said. Just wanted to pass on my thoughts and condolences also…

tpbiker
    Free Member

Got interviewed under caution on Saturday for the heinous crime of driving my brother and sister in law to the airport,

Whoever has instigated that enquiry needs a hard punch in the face. Presumably it’s the cps?

I thought prosecution should be in the public interest. I’d love to see them trying to justify this.

mashr

I thought prosecution should be in the public interest. I’d love to see them trying to justify this.

Hence the next part about CPS not being likely to take things further. The Police carrying out an interview isn’t the prosecution but I would say is a necessary part of the safeguards mentioned earlier

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dignity in dying’ is closed to new replies.