Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • digital subscriptions to magazine and tablet OS's question.
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Thinking of picking up one of those tablets so we can make use of the digital magazine on the train. Does anyone have advice on the Singletrack magazine on Android platform.
    They use Pocketmags app from the play store which reviewed here really really poorly.
    GooglePlayReview
    Anyone got any real world advice. IOS tablets are soooo much more expensive but at least it’ll work.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

A resounding big fat Zero there then. I’m guessing the Fruit based tablet is the winner in this encounter then.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a flash based sample mag here to give you an idea.

http://premier.singletrackworld.com/promotional/Issue72/

But most modern devices don’t support flash. Not sure if there is a better sample somewhere that is actually useful. 🙂

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Looks really nice that. Clean simple just what were after. However for Android I have to get Pocketmags app from the play store, here are just the first 4 reviews…

‘This is the worst app I have ever used. Its interface is painfully poor and simple things that exist in every other program ever, like noting which account is logged etc do not exist. It’s just generally awful’

‘Can’t read my magazine, wish I had read the reviews before buying’

‘This app is a waste of time. I purchased a subscription for 6 months before heading out on a business trip. The app reported that I have been charged and no issues added to my account. So that’s £15 down the toilet? Emailed them but no response.’

‘Only get half of the two mags pages missing so step by step instructions are OK if you can guest what the first stages are’

I’m not inspired with confidence, so anyone reading the magazine on Android like a Google Nexus?

nickjb
    Free Member

Can you not just get the mag as a PDF then read it with acrobat or open reader? I thought that was an option

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

its for my wife, she’d just like to have it downloaded without the need for an internet connection when published. Otherwise I’ll be the one doing it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got a subscription to MBUK on iOS through the News stand app. Works great and has additional content via links in the text and photos. Still prefer a magazine though, but for convenience it is handy.

ssboggy

I had a few problems with pocket mags app at first but it works absolutely fine now on a Nexus 7

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Oh good news. You managed to sort it yourself or with assistance from them?

GrahamS

Pocketmags app works well on iOS. I prefer the layout to the PDF version.

Whichever OS you opt for, go for a high resolution tablet. Much easier to read text without needing to zoom in and means you can appreciate the photos etc much more.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Cool, thanks. She order a Nexus, if we suffer difficulties I know where to turn.

Uncle_Riotous
    Free Member

Tried the Pocketmags app when I eventually got the email today (can’t remember how many weeks back I requested it) and I’m not impressed so far. Not sure that I can be bothered to persevere with it, it’s rubbish.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Pocket mags has been nothing but a complete pain in the backside so far. There’s got to be a simpler way of doing things?

Their’s an online magazine called IMB which I think is really good. It’s a free app with integrated videos (including a lengthy monthly tutorial). Sure, it’s got quite a lot of adds – but nothing which spoils it.

dknwhy

On my Ipad, I just read as a PDF. Click the issue in the mag archive, let it load and then opt to read it in reader. Simple.

cp

it’s rubbish.

the process of getting the mag is a little clunky, but I really like the app itself and the way it works – it’s great IMO.

(Samsung Tab 2 10.1″)

Mackem

Pocketmags is shit. Convert it to epub (using calibre) or just download the epub version and it’s so much nicer.

BillOddie

Tried Zinio?

Bike mag, Mountain Flyer, Spoke and Dirt Rag and they cost pennies.

The likes of WhatMTB etc are on there too but a bit pricey.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘digital subscriptions to magazine and tablet OS's question.’ is closed to new replies.