Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Digital slr
  • Three_Fish
    Free Member

since when you are at a zoo or museum or something you tend to follow the same people around a bit.

No I don’t.

I do observe, but I don’t judge.

You just don’t think that you judge. Your words in this thread clearly and amply demonstrate otherwise. Here’s just one example for you:

When I brought up the subject it was to raise the phenomenon of people buying expensive kit they don’t need

How do you know? Seriously: how the **** do you know what people do or don’t need? And what business is it of yours anyway?

theyEye
    Free Member

Déjà vu

Cougar

Well, it probably is deja vu, it sounds like it.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I brought up the subject it was to raise the phenomenon of people buying expensive kit they don’t need
    How do you know?

I don’t. That’s why I didn’t accuse anyone specific in the context of this thread of buying kit they don’t need. However I know it happens in general; people I know well do it. This is what I was talking about. The tendency of people to hanker for shiny gadgets and then not really take advantage of them.

It’s a bit rich of you judging me for judging people, no? You know barely more about me and my personal thought processes than I do about the zoo patrons. But you’re pretty keen on telling me exactly how I feel despite me trying to explain otherwise. You seem to think you know me better than I know myself, which seems unlikely 🙂

since when you are at a zoo or museum or something you tend to follow the same people around a bit.
    No I don’t.

Well I do. I saw the same folk lots of times yesterday. This is irrefutable 🙂

alba23
    Free Member

Thanks again lots to think about but I didn’t mean to start a fight 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Neither did I, but I apparently did 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Neither did I, but I apparently did

Oh c’mon molgrips, it’s clear that was intentional

Cougar

I didn’t mean to start a fight

Hi! You must be new here.

(-:

theyEye
    Free Member

To mis-quote someone or other…

“most often the most judgemental people are those who congratulate themselves on their tolerance and open-mindedness”

… which tends to lead to some rabid arguments. Molgrips seems to participate in more than his fair share. At least that’s the impression I get, because if memory serves I’ve already had this very argument with him twice.

Sony A55. Bought it for the wife a month or two ago with the Sony 18-250, and am happy as a clam.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

EDIT nm.

molgrips
    Free Member

You strike me as somebody who is spectacularly unaware of himself.

Interesting you should say that. What gives you that impression?

People seem to mis-understand me an awful lot though, especially on forums. And then you try and explain what you really meant and they continue to hold onto their initial impression and dismiss any further clarification as being a symptom of the same delusion that led to the initial impression.

I’m often imploring people to be open minded on here – so that would imply that I value the trait somewhat, wouldn’t it?

Nick

zzzzzzzzzzz

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What gives you that impression?

You do.

molgrips
    Free Member

Okay then.

May I also say, for the record, that you seem to be a rather angry person , somewhat self-assured and quite unaware of how hard it is to gain a true impression of someone by reading their forum posts.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What gives you that impression?
    You do.

Ah! his Wildean wit combined with the oratory skill of Churchill and Enoch Powell have certainly forced you into a corner there molgrips. Get out of that rhetorical headlock if you can!

theyEye
    Free Member

Must resist…
    Must resist…

Can’t.

I’m often imploring people to be open minded on here – so that would imply that I value the trait somewhat, wouldn’t it?

“most often the most judgemental people are those who congratulate themselves on their tolerance and open-mindedness”

…aaaah, that’s better.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol @ CM 🙂

TheEye – I didn’t congratulate myself there, I simply said that I value the trait.

Anyway I’ve not found this

..to be the case at all.

Not quite sure how it’s possible to prove open-mindedness. Maybe if you trawled through my posting history you could draw a conclusion.

Cougar

You spelt “trolled” wrong there.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

May I also say, for the record, that you seem to be a rather angry person , somewhat self-assured and quite unaware of how hard it is to gain a true impression of someone by reading their forum posts.

You’re funny! So, hang on a minute… you feel that you can gain a true impression of me, as you described me above; but I can’t gain a true impression of you? How does that work, then?

You even did quite well, although I’m certainly more self-assured than just ‘somewhat’ – more like ‘decidedly’. What you are seeing as anger is actually just a mix of frustration, confusion and irritation. I disagree entirely on the third point: it’s actually very easy to get a good impression of somebody from their posts when, like you, they give away so much. Judgemental people tend to do that…

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re funny! So, hang on a minute… you feel that you can gain a true impression of me, as you described me above; but I can’t gain a true impression of you? How does that work, then?

No, I don’t feel anything of the sort! I said you SEEM to be rather angry. I don’t know you particularly well so there’d be no logical basis for any other point of view.

I use these words like ‘seem to’, ‘get the impression that’ and so on because they indicate subjectivity. Which is a reflection on how your posts read, not an assessment of your character. I can’t assess your character, because I don’t have enough information. Or in other words – I am not judging 🙂

What you are seeing as anger is actually just a mix of frustration, confusion and irritation

Ok, thanks for the further explanation.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What you are seeing as anger is actually just a mix of frustration, confusion and irritation

olympus
    Free Member

Not sure I’d get an E-5 tbh – weather sealing is nice but it’s what, £1500.. and is basically the same as my E-600 which was £330.

You really need to take a look at an E5 if you think it’s anywhere near a 600. The sensor is vastly improved, even on the E30’s and the dynamic range is a lot better as well as high ISO performance. Its over priced yes, but it’s light years ahead of the other deminishing E system family.

Even the E3 is still a fantastic camera, and out performs the E30 in many areas. Olympus’ strength will alwaqys be their lenses, their HG and SHG glass is exceptional, making L series stuff look average. However, they are failing to link them up with new cameras now.

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus you realise how irresponsible you’re being, don’t you? Persuading me of the merits of a really expensive camera 🙂

I didn’t realise the sensor was different though. Is it the same as the E3? DPreview seem to think it is.

I do wonder what they are working on there at Olympus. Looks like the E-PL2 has great IQ, so you’d think they could at least whack that in an E-5 1/2 or something.

EDIT: DxO’s graphs are just about identical for the E5 and E620 in all cases…

Conqueror
    Free Member

I reckon they are making or considering making a Fuji X100 competitor but obviously with the ability to change lenses – m43 variety

That or they are making a “pro” [vapourware] camera that many crave… I mean weather resistant m43 with uber sensor and pro controls/interface

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely the X100 is a Pen competitor, not the other way round? There’s also the XZ-1 which I had thought was in a similar bracket to the X100.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The x100 is nicher than a rigid 69er with drop bars and belt drive. That you can’t fit different tyres to.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Are the controls as direct on the XZ1?

With dedicated mechanical controls for individual shutter speed and exposure compensation, aperture (is adjusted on ring around the lens itself). Third and half stop aperture adjustments using a nudge-wheel. Then youve got the beastly sensor (but yes m43 can and will catch up here)

Its an old school range finder camera made digital pretty much.

I think its been built for complete creative control – but specifically for situations that arise quickly .. you can dial in the settings quickly.. you see something you shot it… a spontaneous thing (not necessarily fast action shots)

Yes it is niche.. but at some point someone will perhaps make an interchangable version of something like that.. it still decent anyway for its intended use.. it’s just that price tag 😆

5thElefant
    Free Member

…it’s just that price tag

Yeah, if it was £500 I’d probably have one.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Digital slr’ is closed to new replies.