different length crank arms (170 & 175) – problems?

Home Forum Bike Forum different length crank arms (170 & 175) – problems?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • different length crank arms (170 & 175) – problems?
  • Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

You’ll have poor bunnyhop constantly walking around in circles if you do that to her!

nbt

Need a new crankset for my tandem as the current one is welded to the BB and won’t come off. Found a bargain set up on Ebay so ordered all four arms and they arrived today

Been a bit of a dope and not checked, three of the arms are 175mm so captain’s cranks will match. but the stoker will have 170mm arm on the drive side and 175 on the other side

Has anyone done this? Will it be noticeable, or shall I just fit and forget? Does anyone have a right hand side square taper 175mm 4 bolt crank arm in the parts bin?

ta

nbt

bump for the morning crowd in case anyone has something useful to say 8)

Craggyjim

Insoles in one foot?

IHN

Not quite what you asked for, but I have a pair of four bolt HTII 170mm crank arms sitting on the parts box that you can have for very little.

Failing that, what you need is an orthopedic shoe.

birney29

I have a square taper Shimano crankset that I am looking to sell. Right crank arm included! Used, but in good condition.

It is the black version of the shimano 2300. 175mmm crank length.

Will send you the crank arm for £10 or the entire set for £15.

nbt

IHN wrote:

Not quite what you asked for, but I have a pair of four bolt HTII 170mm crank arms sitting on the parts box that you can have for very little.
    Failing that, what you need is an orthopedic shoe.

ta but tandem cranks need specific drillings as stoker cranks need rings on both sides.

birney29 wrote:

I have a square taper Shimano crankset that I am looking to sell. Right crank arm included! Used, but in good condition.
    It is the black version of the shimano 2300. 175mmm crank length.
    Will send you the crank arm for £10 or the entire set for £15.

Again ta but needs to be 4-bolt as I have the rings and everything ready to go

soobalias

lbs for a 4bolt ST drive side 175 crank.

or stick a note in the WTDs here

taxi25

Willing to bet if you said nothing the stoker would never notice. Once they’re aware it would feel instantly wrong.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I’d be worried about knee/hip problems with having legs spinning different circles.

Could you not just get a new BB and then use all 4 new arms?

nbt

weekendworrier wrote:

I’d be worried about knee/hip problems with having legs spinning different circles.
    Could you not just get a new BB and then use all 4 new arms?

the new arms are different lengths

the old arms were isis drive, and one is knackered

I could use new square taper at the front and old isis at the back, but would prefer square taper all round

will search out a 175mm arm

scant

I’d totally avoid different length cranks. a friend of mine rode different length cranks without realising, for a few months & now he has serious knee issues.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

sorry, should have read more carefully – thought the welded on one was the problem 🙁

nbt

scant wrote:

I’d totally avoid different length cranks. a friend of mine rode different length cranks without realising, for a few months & now he has serious knee issues.

this is what I was afraid of, even though it won’t be used every ride.

thanks all

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘different length crank arms (170 & 175) – problems?’ is closed to new replies.