Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Differences between Vaults and V12s?
  • bigginge

I’m a bit stuck with this. After reading about a lot I’m stuck as to what the differences are between the DMR vaults and V12s.

It sounds like the Vaults are bigger but I can’t see anything anywhere to tell me how big the V12s are to start with.

The pins look slightly better on the vaults (screwing in from the rear) but I’m not sure that their bearings are any better given peoples reports of needing frequent bushing replacement.

So, can anyone here with experience of running both types offer any advice on which they prefer or Fill me in on any of the above?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizons are better and often a little cheaper.

JP

Lionheart
    Free Member

Have both here and vaults considerably better and larger, exception grip and our have survived well.

davosaurusrex

I took a Vault square to the forehead from a hanging bike last night. It really hurt. I also own V12s but haven’t yet twatted them with my face so can’t provide a meaningful comparison. Hope that helps.

reluctantjumper

They both use the same axle, bearings and bushings but the Vault is machined where the V12 is cast. The Vault is slightly larger, roughly 5mm in width. The bushing does wear pretty fast but as the V12 shape suits me and I have 4 pairs on different bikes I’ve bought the bushing tool and a bag of bushings off Amazon, takes 2-3 mins to replace them and they past roughly 3-400 miles a pair. I had a pair of the Vaults for my bling bike and while they were slightly grippier than the V12’s I found they caught on rocks more often, meaning I bent an axle so I sold them on.

chiefgrooveguru

“I took a Vault square to the forehead from a hanging bike last night.”

I have a perfectly circular small wound on my shin from standing next to my bike last week, I barely bumped into the Vaults!

I haven’t tried the new V12’s but the Vaults are a perfect size for me, much more concave than most (like those Nukeproofs), very grippy and comfy.

My most recent* pair are the Brendogs (ordered the standard black ones, got the Brendogs and kept them). However the “moto pins” in the middle positions seem to add no more grip but have almost destroyed the soles on my FiveTens. I’ve just taken them out and put the normal short upside down pins in the outer middle position and left the innner middle holes empty because my feet don’t touch them anyway.

*Bought because I went from two bikes to three but now I’m back to two and the only parts I’ve kept are my oldest Vaults!

ChipkoAndolan

The vaults are slightly more dished than the V12s, so hold your feet better by cupping them slightly.

bigginge

Well, asking this has probably cost me £40 or so as I guess I have to give the vaults a try now.

Unless anyone thinks it would be better to buy some plastic burgtec pedals?

Too much choice.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I have Vaults and V12’s, and like them both but … and this is not a wind up … on my hardtail I prefer the V12’s as I can wrap my foot around them more and hop the bike around easier, whereas on the full sus the Vaults are brilliant for sticking to the sole of your shoes and letting you plough through stuff (I had vaults on the hardtail, but sold them and went back to V12’s).

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I prefer the concave nature of the Vaults as well as the extra width.

I may be wrong but I think they are thinner too so less pedal strikes.

I have vaults on two bikes.

Plastic v12’s or whatever they are called on my commuter.

DMR fanboy!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Differences between Vaults and V12s?’ is closed to new replies.