Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Difference between Mary bars and Jones H Bars????
  • judy-rockshox
    Free Member

I got my Jones H Bars today which I will fit to my Merlin at the weekend. The look good but can anyone tell me the difference between the Jones and the Mary Bars please? Also are the On One Mary Bars aluminium or steel?
    Thanks!

ton

long term mary bar user here. they are steel, and a little bit too narrow.
    jones loops for the last 6 months, hated them at 1st, but I wont ever use any others now.
    I have a fused wrist, which ached all the time after riding, these bars have sorted that out.

brant
    Free Member

long term mary bar user here. they are steel, and a little bit too narrow.

Mary bars did come in steel, but most are aluminium.

We have a new bar coming in the next few days called OG Bar…

brianp
    Free Member

Love Mary Bars, just seem to put my wrists at the correct angle. About to buy another, so very intrigued to hear of a new bar, the OG.

Pics and more info ASAP please.

fasthaggis

Thinking about a set of jones loops for the next build ( I use midge bars and really like them) .
    Did you get them off here or buy new ?

flashes
    Free Member

Difference, I still have 4 sets of Mary bars fitted to bikes, I’ve sold the Jones…..

Keef
    Free Member

difference =

Jones bars= for weirdos

Mary bars= make you look like you’re going shopping..

Keef
    Free Member

P.S.
    have had/have both,prefer Jones,but that’s just my personal choice.
    check out ebay and Rose bikes for cheap alternatives 😉

Duffer
    Free Member

Who here runs their Mary Bars inverted? I’m building a bike at the minute for which i have a Mary. Very interested in trying it out!

Keef
    Free Member

Duffer,my lad does,cut down,flipped.on his fix cross…

butcher

I bought the steel Mary bars out of choice. In hindsight they weigh a ton and I’m sure the alu ones would be more than adequate for my needs. I quite like them. Only complaint is that it’s difficult to fit lights and stuff. The difference … well over £100 I believe 😮 In all seriousness, given what I’ve seen (I’ve never used them) I think the Jones bars are wider with more sweep. I’m sure someone can confirm?

judy-rockshox
    Free Member

Thanks all. If the Jones ones work for me all well and good. For me the difference is between riding my bikes or giving up. Both wrists buggered through injuries (not even bike related). I might try the Mary bars for my hybrid if I can get them in Ali. Thanks also Brant, I’ll hang on and look at the new ones too. My last bike ride was only a couple of local miles so anything is worth a try and all suggestions welcome.

vorlich
    Free Member

I have ergon grips on my Jones bars, very comfy.

miranmtb
    Free Member

brant brant brant
    More info about OG Bar please.

scaredypants

I like mary bars but I do like a bar end for climbing on the ss and they’d need a quite sharply angled one to fit. I’m out 🙁

BillOddie

Oooo I hope the OG bar is 700mm+…

Cheezpleez

Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant Brant, etc

More info on the OG, please

miranmtb
    Free Member

We have a new bar coming in the next few days called OG Bar…

Any news before tomorrow?

brant
    Free Member

Hope to get the Knuckleball bars up this week.
    Carbon bar. £49.99. 230g
    747 or 777mm width
    747mm comes in “chewy” or ” hard” versions for flex or rigid options.
    Black or white options.
    Made by company who do baseball bats and golf clubs. And handlebars 🙂

6deg up, 9deg back. 25mm rise.

OG bars are 685mm tip to tip, 25deg sweep, 30ish mm rise I think.
    Might be a bit like another bar I did once.
    Ages ago.

miranmtb
    Free Member

Carnegie’s Bar is back 😯

motorman
    Free Member

Like the sound of OG bars – pics please
    Carnegies Mk2?…..How much?

Parkwood, now these…looking like an expensive week!

Oh, while we are at it, what is the scoop on this new “trail” fatty?

Thank you muchly

TiRed

Just to add another flavour, I use Inverted Soma Sparrow. More H bar than Mary, and they just put your wrists at that perfect ten-to-two position so useful for SS honking. Three widths, I ride with 490’s

rOcKeTdOg

I have 2 carnegie’s flat and a Mary bar in the shed doing nowt

peanut
    Free Member

Will someone PLEASE make a proper wide bar with big sweep. Got Jones Loop and J bar, got Carnegies, wish they were all wider.

Cheezpleez

Harrumph! I, too, was hoping for something with more width and sweep.

Clink

What peanut said ^

BillOddie

Ditto Peanut and Cheezpleez.

brant
    Free Member

Give me numbers. Interested.

If you actually examine where your hands are on Carnegies, say, the 685mm width is the same as a 710mm or so flat bar.

ampthill

Did Titec stop their copy because they or in trouble?

Clink

So…something like a carnegie (still loving mine) which would put your hands in equivalent position to about a 730/740 standard flat bar?

BillOddie

Brant,

I’m running 785mm RaceFace Atlas (DIMENSIONS: 31″ or 785 mm width, 8° rearward, 4° upwardm RISE: ½”) and Answer Pro Taper DH Bars (Rise 25.4mm, Up Sweep 4°, Back Sweep 8°)

I have long arms and I’m quite broad across the shoulders and wider bars have been a revelation to me.

Ideally I would like a bar that put my hands the same distance apart as 780mm “normal” bar with 30 degrees+ of sweep.

That being said on my more XCey bike I would probably be happy with the bars being a bit narrower, ie the equivalent position of 740mm normal bars.

Does that make sense?

I might mock something up with cardboard if I have time later.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Width (and price) does appear to be a main difference between mary bars and Jones H bars.

I found when riding S/s with wideish normal shaped bars I could put too much force through my puny shoulder joint. may be the angle on straight bars contributing too. mary bars width seems spot on for me…

TM

tazzymtb

wide bars, nice sweep, Like my 760 Ti Black sheep? 😀

jameso

The new Genesis 29+ bike has ~700mm x 30 deg bars on it as OE. Seems a good compromise for a wider bar.
    The wider my hands go, the less sweep I like, what I like about Jones bars is that they’re half-way between a 90 deg road bar ‘sweep’ and a std 720-740mm MTB bar. For me half the point of a swept bar is being in the same amount of control as a wider bar, but not having as much width and all the negatives (trees.. headwinds.. more bar movement for every little correction). I’ve never thought my Jones bars would be better if they were wider, but that’s on a rigid bike and I’d use something else on a susser. Titec flat-trackers were good, 12 deg / 710mm I think.

peanut
    Free Member

Brant, there are already a few options for more ‘standard’ width bars with good amount of sweep, including all those mentioned above ( Jones, Mary, Carnegie etc). Why not go for something wide like Tazzy’s, or at least 740 as Clink suggests. We can also get 710/720 from the new Jones bars, Answer 20/20, or Salsa Bend 2. Why not offer us something different? I think there is definately a small but interested demand.

motorman
    Free Member

[/url]

flashes
    Free Member

I don’t suppose the Chewy bars will take bar ends?

bonesetter
    Free Member

The Knucklebar is very close indeed to the Kodex Strut bar which I have been using on my 29er’s for a few years now.

http://www.kodex-racing.com/en/products/detail/bars/strut_bar/

I like W-I-D-E bars, so the 750mm of the Strut bar is something I immediately liked, and the 777 width of the Knuckle something I wouldn’t mind trying

The backsweep (11°)is nice as of course the wider you go the more back sweep your wrists need

The whole thing works very well indeed, so the Knuckle looks good, with 100g of weight loss

I’m 6’2″ use a 50-90 stem on large size geared 29er

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Difference between Mary bars and Jones H Bars????’ is closed to new replies.