Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • [Dieting] 'Starvation Mode'?
  • barkm
    Free Member

So, having just updated my MFP diary, I get an ominous warning about not eating enough:

“Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.”

I had previously thought this starvation mode was a bit of a myth, and in actual fact it would take weeks of under nutrition to affect ones metabolism. But should I read any authority into this statement, or is MFP simply repeating the myth? And why would it be a ‘bad thing’?

stratobiker
    Free Member

What’s an MFP diary?

sadexpunk

i was always under the impression ‘starvation mode’ didnt kick in for 2 or 3 days.

personally id ignore it and carry on with whatever plan youre doing, as long as youve looked into it and are happy doing it.

brakes
    Free Member

I lost about a stone last year in 6-8 weeks with a net consumption of 1,200 calories. why not just aim for that?

sadexpunk

What’s an MFP diary?

myfitnesspal.

barkm
    Free Member

Sorry yeh, myfitnesspal.com

It only really occurs on exercise days (every other day), as I keep to a net of 1400 cals everyday. But as I’ve got fitter I’ve somehow needed less food so don’t eat as much to compensate for the exercise. So consequently today I hit a lower count than usual.

Was just curious whether there was more to starvation than I previously thought, and whether I should consider it.

theotherjonv

Not for a day at a time, even maybe a couple. I’m doing very well on the 5:2 intermittent fasting plan which relies on managing to 600 cals twice a week, and rather than going to starvation mode, the plan suggests it’s actually better for you than managing on a reduced calorie level for the whole week (which is what I did initially after new year)

18 pounds down and counting, this week should see me closer to the correct bmi range than the obese one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘[Dieting] 'Starvation Mode'?’ is closed to new replies.