Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dietary supplements?
  • jimmyoto
    Free Member

I’m not the fittest or fastest but I feel like I can hold my own, but I just don’t feel like I have the same “pop” or “zing” as I did when I was younger.
    We have a 3 year old so my riding is limited to a couple of hours at the weekend. I run (a bit). I turbo (sometimes). I do gym stuff, but struggle to do anything on consecutive days. Partly through time constraints but mainly as I feel pretty fatigued the day after a run/ride/gym.

I’m sure it’s nothing new – I’m older than I was, I’m tireder and sometimes when it comes to it it’s easier to find a reason not to exercise (like writing on forums!!)

I would consider my diet to be pretty good, but I was considering some sort of supplements that may allow me to recover faster and feel a bit more “up for it”.

I’m not after a silver bullet or magic potion – just some suggestions from you guys that could maybe give me a bit more ooomph – nothing illegal either 🙂

Thanks guys,

J

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Have you used my fitness Pal or do you have something that tracks your sleeping? Trying mfp for a couple of weeks might highlight something you are missing from your diet even though you think it’s fairly healthy. Only then would I look at any supplementation if you can’t fit it in your diet.

And the sleeping can be a big factor. Too easy to miss out with kids.

poah
    Free Member

why not look at your current diet and see how healthy it actually is.

chevychase

Yep. Poah.

There’s a huge push to supplement for no good reason. Instead, massive vegetable intake increase, sensible protein, cut down on sugars (and elimanate processed foods of any kind) and sleep correctly.

Yak

I think my diet is ok’ish, but I supplement with vitD3. I also recently had a cold that dragged on for 3 weeks. I then drank a load of Guinness* and bingo, no cold! So yeah, vitD3 and Guinness.
    Other stouts and dark beers would do I reckon… 🙂

fakiee
    Free Member

What everyone else is saying, diet is key.

This is a great diet to reset your system, “It Starts With Food” – https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starts-Food-Revised-Discover-Unexpected/dp/1628600543

Its a 30 day whole food diet. Its tough but by the 3rd week I was waking up at 6am full of energy, I haven’t had similar energy since i was a kid. Also the inflammation around my knees went down within the first week (it stopped creaking when fully extending).

I do supplement with some stuff, good place to start is magnesium as apparently we are all deficient in it. Don’t buy the cheap stuff in boots (magnesium oxide its basically a laxative), get some decent Magnesium Glycinate or citrate.

If you take D3 make sure you take it with Vit K2, otherwise you risk clogging your arteries with calcification. Its amazing how even doctors recommend D3 but don’t realise it requires K2 to be absorbed properly.

https://info.dralexrinehart.com/articles/vitamin-d-and-vitamin-k2-benefits-connection

I’ve tried loads of other vitamins and supplements, and got into things like Vit stacking. None of it comes close to having a decent well balanced diet.

chevychase

Vitamin supplementation is bull. Anything above RDA, which you get from decent diet and exposure to sunlight, science shows to be counterproductive at best, dangerous at worst.

In 150,000 years of homo sapiens and 150 years of supplementation, which do you choose? Good food and rest, or pills/powders?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I take a Vit C 1000mg tablet followed by a teaspoon of Ferroglobin every 2/3 days, most days I add some Sainburys reduced salt Marmite to my peanut butter and jam sandwiches for a Vit B boost.

tjagain

I used to be in the “decent diet and sunlight means you don’t need supplements” camp – until I went to the docs with fatigue and got checked over and the one thing found was that I was seriously vit d deficient. 1/4 the normal levels. Taking vit D has made me feel much better. How much is in my head both the vague fatigue symptoms and the “cure” I cannot tell. However if like me you spend a lot of time outdoors but only your face is showing and live in Scotland then you almost certainly do need vit d supplementation

so in my case the evidence for vit d supplementation is incontrovertible

I’d go to your GP and ask to be investigate under ” tired all the time” protocol – this should include liver and thyroid testing amongst other things and also vit d levels

Simon-E

If you take D3 make sure you take it with Vit K2, otherwise you risk clogging your arteries with calcification. Its amazing how even doctors recommend D3 but don’t realise it requires K2 to be absorbed properly.

https://info.dralexrinehart.com/articles/vitamin-d-and-vitamin-k2-benefits-connection

I’m not quite ready to believe some American supplement salesman who posts meaningless crap on his ‘about’ page. Although online articles and papers suggest Vitamin K2 does apparently help with Vitamin D in this way, from the sources I saw it only really applies to the risk associated with very high doses of Vitamin D.

IIRC Graeme Close (Senior Lecturer at Liverpool John Moores University) didn’t mention K2 in this extensive discussion.

https://guruperformance.com/episode-12-vitamin-d-with-graeme-close-phd/

He recommends taking 1,000-2,000 IU of D3 daily through the winter months. D3 (cholecalciferol) is 9x as effective as the D2 (ergocalciferol) found in fortified foods (which are usually fortified because they’re junk).

andybrad

just jumping on this for some advice.

Myself but mainly the other half suffers massively from SAD can she just pop a vitamin D pill and feel better?

Simon-E

Anybody know why the link I posted has embedded a preview of the target URL? I tried editing the post 3 times but couldn’t figure it out.

can she just pop a vitamin D pill and feel better?

Very unlikely to make that much difference IMVHO.

I’d suggest she gets her vit D levels checked. You can often do this via GP surgery or get a postal pack (Close mentions this in the podcast I linked to).

My wife has tried one of those ‘morning lamp’ things a while ago. It did help her wake up, but IIRC it didn’t help her feel better in general.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dietary supplements?’ is closed to new replies.