Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Diet challenge
  • teasel
    Free Member

I was wrong. The guy ate more than just Twinkies…

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

mrsfry
    Free Member

Blooming European’s

15 stones of pure trifle. Did a Thursday healthy food shop and whatever change I has left, I chucked in the charity bucket. Posted my bank cards by third class to myself, so I am penniless 🙂

My one millionth attempt to stop smoking and get fit, so no money to cheat ( yes I am weak) vaping like a maniac ( and farting like one) and bouncing off the walls.

I do have more energy and not coughing. Still thinking about smoking though. Did go out and run two miles this morning (I nearly died) weights when I got in.

Don’t have hot pants like the OP but I will try to buy some.

molgrips
    Free Member

It is calories in versus calories out. The problem is the calories out part is very variable and complex, lots of ways for calories to leave the body. Calories in is quite complex too 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

Not that complex. If you’re overweight or carrying too much fat, eat less and move more. Barring medical conditions most folk will lose fat.

How many calories do you eat on an average day, Molgrips? Also, what type of macro ratio are you tucking away…?

miketually
    Free Member

Coffee for breakfast, salad for lunch.

That’s pretty much my diet* though I also have porridge or bacon for breakfast, and the salad contains half a tin of chickpeas or lentils and a load of olive oil.

*in the “what I eat” sense, rather than “trying to lose weight”

molgrips
    Free Member

It is complex, teasel. We’ve done this a hundred times on here, this is meant to be a motivational thread. If you want to argue diet science start another one.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m not sure it helps to think of it as complex though Molgrips. That means you’re seeing it as a challenge and perhaps overthinking it. For me it’s been similar to stopping smoking, where you recognise your habits and minimise the bad ones.

My wife looks after most of the cooking, so I asked how she deals with it. The answer was to know what your staples are and get those in each week. Am now -15.2kg in 3 months so something is working 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends where you start from. If you are fat biffer eating pies and cakes, then yes you can do the simple things.

I’ve always been fit and active, I’ve cycled all my life and I’ve never been really fat no matter how badly I eat. Never bought trousers more than 34″. Just heavier than I need to be to win races. Body fat was 17% last time I measured it.

I know exactly what I personally need to do to lose weight, I’ve done it before. The problem is sticking to the plan, because I like cakes, sweets and bread. That’s the simple part of it.

teasel
    Free Member

If you want to argue diet science

I was actually trying help so maybe it’s you that’s spoiling for an argument when it comes to this, though I do tend to get a bit of a frosty reception on this forum for some reason and genuinely can’t think why. It’s getting **** tedious, TBH. Very childish considering the average age of forum user.

And yeah, maybe it’s flippant to claim it’s not complex but there is, in general, a basic method to weight loss and those that fail generally can’t really tell you what they’re eating of a day.

I also don’t think cycling on an amateur level is as good for weight loss as, say, a brisk walk. I think it was Lodrick(sp) that started a thread a while back and wrote something along the lines of how inefficient it was when compared to a bike ride. Right there is the reason it’s good. Obviously it’ll come down to how much effort you put in on your ride but I lost more weight walking than cycling for a similar amount of time.

But, obviously what you want to read is Go, Molgrips – you can do it!!! So…er… whoooh! Go, you!

or something…

😕

teasel
    Free Member

I’ll also add an opinion I have of cycling. It tends to make you feel more hungry than you actually are. If you yield to that feeling you can throw away any gains (or loss, depending on how you look at it) by eating until sated. There’s almost a culture of eating the shit out of anything and everything following a bike ride, probably justifying it all by deluding yourself into believing you’ve earned it.

Just a theory based on personal experience and observation of other cyclists.

nickc

perhaps overthinking it.

Haha this is grips and losing weight we’re talking about.

nickc

If you are fat biffer eating pies and cakes

And

Because I like cakes sweets and bread

Seems you might be onto something there

molgrips
    Free Member

Teasel, don’t feel like I’m getting at you, I’m not trying to. You are right in most cases, your typical chubby IT working weekender would indeed be served well by simply eating less and doing more riding. But there are many who don’t succeed doing or attempting this, and the reasons are complex.

The problem saying calories in vs out stem mainly from the out part. What your body actually does with what goes into your mouth is not at all straightforward, nor is what happens inside your body when you ride… Whatever that means to us.

If we just eat less, and ride more, eventually the need for food may simply overtake willpower, even if you have plenty to begin with. So the thinking starts there.

Nickc – I don’t consider 34″ trousers to be those of a fat biffer. That starts at 36 😉

nickc

It wasn’t the fat buffer bit I was alluding to, more the cakes and sweeties.

But we’ve been here before, and given its the run up to Xmas…oh, and never mind the quality, feel the ironing…

You are right in most cases, your typical chubby IT working weekender would indeed be served well by simply eating less and doing more

Ha ha physician heal thyself

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pretty cool idea to loose weight just before the Gluttony Holidays. I say if you can limit the sheer amount of food available this time of year, you’ll be right come Feb for a 75kg bottom limit.

Just fir some high intensity intervals in over the holidays to aid fat burning, drink more water than you think you need and if you feel hungry, have a glass of two of water before you head for the pies. If you still feel hungry after that then at least you’ve either delayed eating and or replaced a meal.

Get used to feeling hungry, becomes a habit after a while.

RichPenny
    Free Member

because I like cakes, sweets and bread.

Have you considered that rather than liking those things, you have merely developed habitual behaviour around their consumption?

molgrips
    Free Member

Absolutely, it is habitual. Put the kids to bed, then rather than Netflix and chillnin our house it’s Netflix and dessert. That is hard to quit. However I do really really like them. I can retrain myself to not like super sweet things but then I just crave bread…

I won’t be doing high intensity intervals for a while yet. They are what ruin me because they drive me to eat more carbs. If I don’t eat carbs, I can’t do high intensity properly.

Hence me deciding this time to diet and then exercise according to the energy I have.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wally

Can I join in? 5’11” 74.7kg (loss 0)

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. Post your weight daily if you like, hopefully the potential for shame will keep you on track 🙂

To follow the format:

Day 4: 88.8kg -0.2kg today -1.9kg total

molgrips
    Free Member

Day 5: 89.3kg +0.5kg today -1.4kg total

molgrips
    Free Member

agent007
    Free Member

It is calories in versus calories out.

Nope its not, it’s all about eating well.

Cut down drastically on the beer, bread, biscuits, cakes, pasta, sugar, fruit etc and eat a diet where you get your carbs from vegetables (e.g. sweet potatoes), oats, rice etc and that’s half the battle. Eat some healthy snacks mid morning and mid afternoon between your main meals and eat a lot of protein as part of your diet to ensure its fat not muscle mass you’re loosing.

You wont have to worry about fat, calorie counting etc and you won’t have to worry about feeling hungry either. You won’t even think it’s a diet – trust me it works!

molgrips
    Free Member

Haven’t weight myself for a couple of days, been in a hotel.

I’ve eaten very little, exercised and not really been hungry. It’s interesting – in previous diet efforts I’d have had a refeed day by now, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens when I get back on the scales.

Exercising has also been interesting. Feels quite different to ride and run on a low carb low calorie diet.

molgrips
    Free Member

Went down to 88.0 the second week before Christmas, then 88.6 the week before, then I had a cold so did little riding. 89.4 this morning though, so not too bad given the bingeing and lack of riding.

soobalias
    Free Member

90.7, down to 89.4
    1.3kg
    2.9lbs
    1lb/week, keep it up.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I don’t want to talk about it 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

Quite pleased with myself for not gaining a significant amount over Christmas. The folks have left so it’s back to normal however there is still a shitload of food in the house …

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Diet challenge’ is closed to new replies.