Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 297 total)
  • Diet and Nutritional Advice ???
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what do you believe iDave is selling ?

misery from the sound of his prescription 🙁

Keva
    Free Member

Steve A, what is miserable about it ?

Kev

cinnamon_girl

iDave – two questions for you. First is I eat a lot of tomatoes and lettuce, should I replace this with veg and, if so, what type would be better?

Second, middle-aged spread. Does it exist? Anything I should particularly avoid?

Thank you. 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

apologies SteveA… question is for Simon… (!)

iDave
    Free Member

steve, what is dangerous? i'm not suggesting restricting calories at all. what is dangerous about a lot of veg, legumes and lean meat?

please tell us…

what is your statement based on apart from your opinion?

C_G, creeping obesity is the term. a few pounds a year from the late thirties and before you know it you're 50 and fat – and just lie on the sofa listening to music 😉

i eat about three bags of spinach a week, but lettuce is fine though. tomatoes less so.

simon, i care about misinformation, but not about what people choose to do personally. tho i don't like fatties

also the Neanderthals didn't have a high carb diet. it was closer to what I'm suggesting, esp the red wine and coffee.

cinnamon_girl

iDave – yep, over 50 but hardly eat so don't understand why I'm the size I am. 🙁 Music? Yep, surely I must burn fat by all my head-banging? 😉

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

steve, what is dangerous? i'm not suggesting restricting calories at all. what is dangerous about a lot of veg, legumes and lean meat?

you are basically suggesting a carb free diet which isn't healthy, but you know that don't you. its the Atkins diet, and there is enough criticism of that on then net without me adding to it.

I believe a balanced diet of all food groups works best in the long term… as do most sensible dieticians/weight loss experts

iDave
    Free Member

Steve, are you saying there are no carbs in lentils, beans, veg? and forgetting one day a week when you can eat what you want?

i ride, I run, I'm training for a 330km marathon in the italian alps, i was an olympic coach, and while i don't coach anymore i might know a few things about the subject.

C_G give my suggestion a try – three weeks, and report back?

what's the worst that could happen.

cinnamon_girl

From my past experience as a runner who regularly carbo-loaded, once I stopped running my body was unable to tolerate carbs. Suffered from the most awful indigestion/bloating type problems so stopped eating potatoes, pasta and rice.

I have two small slices of wholemeal bread for lunch and then mostly no carbs for the rest of the day. Am totally convinced that we do not need them in a great quantity!

Edit: iDave – can give up tomatoes but eat a huge amount of fruit. Am well aware that this could be affecting my blood sugar levels. But am also very aware that HRT has a lot to answer for!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Damn this thread, I love fruit, eat 6+ portions a day. Can I trick my insulin by eating fruit almost constantly? My six pack is almost here, but is being a little shy.

I'm guessing cider is out whatever though!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

of course there are carbs in vegetables! but the problem with folk taking on board your advice on this thread is that you rule out a lot of food that if many people (including me) gave up without having knowledge of food would seriously affect their health

ie, say they only ate lettuce as their veg of choice, pretty much zero carbs, which would be a very bad thing

Gowrie
    Free Member

To all those who say that loosing weight is "just eating less and exercising more" of course you're absolutely right – just in the same way as poor people could easily become rich – all they have to do is earn more and spend less.

iDave
    Free Member

ie, say they only ate lettuce as their veg of choice, pretty much zero carbs, which would be a very bad thing

if they're that stupid, they deserve pestilence and disease and i certainly don't care what happens to them

C_G – bin the bread, bin the fruit, have a day off one day a week and see

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Holy shite!!!!!!!!!!!!

iDave knows what he is talking about…shut the f*ck up, try it for 2 weeks and watch the lbs drop off.

Keva
    Free Member

I'm guessing cider is out whatever though!

not for me…

Kev

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Loosing?? Watch out their our pedants on this hear sight!

Not for me either Kev, Sheppys Dabinett going down nicely at the mo.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I'm sprawled on the sofa dipping crisps and mini pork pies in mayonnaise if that's any help ?

Keva
    Free Member

just finished my last Sheppys ! dabinett 7.4% very nice it was mmmmm 😆

jahwomble
    Free Member

Found more pringles,I reckon an hour from now I could have my own gravitational field if I work at it 🙂

Gowrie
    Free Member

iDave's diet suggestion is far from Atkins – the small amount of carbs in these sorts of diets mean they do not induce ketosis. The high protein diets with low carb intake can be very useful for some people in that they can be very good from an appetite control perspective – ie you're never hungry.
    I have been a type 2 diabetic for the last 15 or so years, and I saw the dietician at the beginning of that period and she gave the the norm for the time – low fat, lowish protien, moderate complex carbs, no sugar. I lost a bit of weight, my diabetes settled down, but I still had more weight to loose so about 3 years ago I saw another dietician again. Same story. Low fat low protein, mod complex carbs, etc. So despite the evidence that 95% of people put on this type of diet will be heavier than they were when they started it 3 years later, despite the increasing evidence of the role of protein as an appetite suppressant, I was still told the same old same old – which is a diet type I find very difficult to stick to. I was very disappointed.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆

Time for an STW cider and pork pie club me thinks.
    Supermarkets round my way seem to be embroiled in a Cider price war, I can't work out who's winning… certainly aint my liver.

[edit] Cheese eaters are also welcome [edit]

Keva
    Free Member

just rode down to the 24hr shop to find it shut, locked up ! I blame the football. still, I found a bottle of white wine in the cupboard, it'll have to do. I'm sure somebody on this thread mentioned white wine earlier so I must be doing something right, I'll eat some cheese & strawberries with it to make sure 🙂

Kev

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sh1t you've just descibed my fridge. I also have armangac and dark choc, neither are banned and I'm hungry.

24hr… closed…WTF!! There is no sense in this world. Maybe, just maybe, there is sense at the bottom of the bottle… go!

CaptJon
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    I'm not even going to read the thread but scanning it was bad enough.

from the perspective of a normal human being, who is active but not racing at an elite level, the following works.

cut OUT white carb food – bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. as in don't eat them
    cut OUT fruit
    cut OUT dairy
    don't drink calories
    drink red wine, coffee and water
    eat as much veg as you want
    as many eggs also
    and lean meat
    use legumes/nuts/seeds to replace the white starch

one day a week eat whatever the hell you want, as much as you want

That's interesting, and i might try it. One question – what to have for breakfast? I don't have time/want to cook in the morning…

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. interesting.. iDaves ideas are not shared by all.

In any case I have to pick him up on something. Most fruit is not high GI, although some is. Fruit does contain sugar but in the form of fructose.. from Wiki:

Fructose has a very low glycemic index of 19 ± 2, compared with 100 for glucose and 68 ± 5 for sucrose

So it does not produce the insulin spikes that iDave warns of. However when you process fruit ie juice it, the fructose quickly degrades into glucose and sucrose, which are bad… Wiki also says large amounts of fructose cause problems with your liver and might cause weight gain too.

I'm personally not sure I'd like to cut out dairy since it's very nutritious, and it can also be useful for satisfying cravings. For instance, a nice low-fat toffee yoghurt can substitute for a cake when you're craving desert.. for me at least 🙂

iDave's diet looks good tho.. but if you're doing a lot of riding, then you'll need more carbs I reckon.

Oh and before people accuse me of getting all my info from wiki, I just used it in this case to double check what I'd learned elsewhere.

PS tomatoes are very good for you.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Whose up for the iDave diet then?

Pop your names in the ring and we'll do a STW weight loss clinic, based on iDaves diet suggestion.

My name is in there as I for one feel I eat very little, don't (always) eat crap, exercise lots, am pretty fit but am fat too. I now blame the fruit.

iDave, clearly you've had a belly full of giving diet advice and it must get tiresome up against some of the opinions all the time but I think we'll get a group together here to prove you right. Would you be happy to offer any tips with the group?

Keva
    Free Member

I'm personally not sure I'd like to cut out dairy since it's very nutritious, and it can also be useful for satisfying cravings. For instance, a nice low-fat toffee yoghurt can substitute for a cake when you're craving desert..

that's a sugar craving you have right there, sugar is highly addictive.

Kev

iDave
    Free Member

if such a group diet forms i'll give some additional advice

all in the name of bettering the human race

breakfast for me usually is a 2 egg omlette, with spinach and chorizo or something etc

takes 3 mins to make

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Had your cholesterol checked iDave? Thats a lot of eggs a week Again not arguing but interested

iDave
    Free Member

is there a direct link between eggs and cholesterol?

or are there maybe other factors involved in having what may be regarded as high cholesterol – not that I have?

and I said 'usually', and 1 day a week I have cereal.

renton
    Free Member

im quite interested in this as im in a position where i need to lose weight!!

if i just cut out all carbs, sugar etc from my diet straight away is my body going to go into shock or somthing??

when people say eat as much veg as you like instead of potatoes and pasta , what do they actually mean??

idave for an 18 stone fatty like me what could you recommend as a daily food plan based on what you said above??

BigJohn

PS tomatoes are very good for you.

PPS. Tomatoes (or Tomato's, as the shops selling them – and they should know – call them) are fruit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Carrots are full of sugar tho – and they are veg

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Hmmm, this food diet sounds interesting… I love all the naughty foods like milky cereal, ice-cream, cheese and chocolate 🙂
    I assume people who are a normal weight already won't lose any, but will have sugar cravings markedly reduced?

what are good alternative sources of calcium though? Quick glance says sardines and soya products, neither of which I am particularly fond of..

nickc

You're not going to suffer a calcium deficiency just because you're not drinking milk.

If you're that worried, take a multi-vit tab.

menothim
    Free Member

I can vouch for iDave's approach having eaten close to the paleo diet for the best part of the year – when I stick to it I feel like I can conquer the world, and when I slip I feel like crap. Problem is, in the real world it is hard to stick to.

TJ and his ilk are welcome to follow conventional wisdom and put their trust in the "experts". But bollocks to being a sheep and following the crowd.

It would be great if iDave could tell us more about his approach – I think a number of us would really appreciate it. Particularly the idea of meal plans for examples of what he eats on a regular basis.

If you want to know more about this way of eating , Google for Crossfit (except you TJ, because it deviates from the norm and will upset you) and then look for the diet links and discussions around it.

When TJ does Google Crossfit and report back he will say it is like a cult and be upset by it – he is right, it is a cult. But are they unhealthy? No. Are they doing things by the book, applying conventional wisdom? No. Could we be learning from them? Damn straight.

Life is more fun when you stop listening to the experts, whether perceived as real or self-appointed.

Go iDave, go!

Kuco

Is there a direct link between eggs and cholesterol?

I always thought that was a misconception about eggs and the actual benefits of an egg out way any fear/myth about the bad relationship with eggs and blood cholesterol.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Only about 1/3 of the population have a genetic tendency to get high cholesterol. If you don't have those genes, you won't get it, no matter how much fat (and eggs) you eat. When I was really humongous (as opposed to merely obese…) my cholesterol was 4.3 or something. My relatively skinny sister in law was once nearing 8. Something to thank my parents for, but not something they tell you in the benecol ads.

BigJohn

Oh and bananas aren't fruit, they're berries. Does that make them OK?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

iDave, your plan sounds exactly like the Primal Blueprint? Not denying it works very well, just 5 weeks in myself and enjoying it.
    Dont agree on the fruits though, yes maybe not bananas, and citrus fruits or grapes, but berries, apples pears etc, with a lower sugar (fructose) component are surely fine, especially for vitamins and other key nutrients.
    Edit: unrefined dairy, ie organic cheese, raw milk, etc is ok too i thought?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 297 total)

The topic ‘Diet and Nutritional Advice ???’ is closed to new replies.