Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 297 total)
  • Diet and Nutritional Advice ???
  • iDave
    Free Member

I'm not even going to read the thread but scanning it was bad enough.

from the perspective of a normal human being, who is active but not racing at an elite level, the following works.

cut OUT white carb food – bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. as in don't eat them
    cut OUT fruit
    cut OUT dairy
    don't drink calories
    drink red wine, coffee and water
    eat as much veg as you want
    as many eggs also
    and lean meat
    use legumes/nuts/seeds to replace the white starch

one day a week eat whatever the hell you want, as much as you want

I'm not selling anything, you could say I know about the subject, I also work in marketing now, so I see through the 'free advice' from brands.

And I've been in the position where I needed to lose weight and I know what works best.

Diet is more effective than exercise – any exercise for fat loss should be short intense intervals.

I have no interest in discussing any of it. I care about this >< much

That will be all

hilldodger
    Free Member

This is not what the literature says is meant to happen, but that was what I found

That's the bottom line really, try to find what works for you in as systematic a way as possible.
    Despite what some may wish to think, biological performance is not always suseptible to being averaged out in a strictly reductionist 'scientific' method.

If 'it' works and doesn't make you feel shite, then use it and feel the benefits, I'd always believe my own body over some raving internut 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

any exercise for fat loss should be short intense intervals

I read one study where they found that if you had less than 8 hours a week then intervals was best.. but for more, the traditional approach was good.

To the OP – buy a few books 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

An intersting take there dave.

May I ask why the cut out fruit? I can see the logic in the rst.

I especially like this one

don't drink calories

meaning beer or sports drinks?

Genuinely interested in the logic behind this I promise not to go off on one – honest

molgrips
    Free Member

don't drink calories

I expect he says that because it's really easy to knock back a load of calories in a drink in addition to the stuff you eat – without really realising it.

Tiger6791

I'm sorry but your all wrong….

See here

BigJohn

No need to apologise TJ. You lauged at one of my jokes the other week, that makes you a good guy as far as I'm concerned.

So do you think Hodgson's going to get the Liverpool job? To make my other prediction come right as well.

I'm glad somebody else thinks fruit is evil. Always too much faff. Give me vegetables any time.

I like the idea of not drinking calories. A few years ago I started drinking only water during the day (after my morning espresso, that is) and it has 2 benefits. As well as keeping off the pounds it also has meant that on a hot day I find water thirst-quenching and I can drink sufficient quantities of it. Many people who don't regularly drink plain water find it hard to drink enough when they work hard.

Coyote
    Free Member

I suppose because some fruit has lots of sugars in it.

Rather have veg though.

iDave
    Free Member

the drinking calories and fruit relates to sugars and insulin, which causes peaks and troughs and encourages storage of fat

it's essentially a combination of low GI and atkins and it works, is exceptionally healthy and cheap also

personally i lost 3-4lbs a week without exercise but was never hungry

but keep buying into other bollox if it suits you

cnud
    Free Member

Some great stuff in here thanks one and all, and lots to go on but I'm guessing seeing as no-one has provided an answer to my question, personal dietician and nutritionalists must be solely in the domain of elite sportsmen / women which sadly I am not. Never mind, anyone up for a discussion on how it's all really down to genetics… oooh err.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta for that.

I don't buy into all you say – a bit extreme for my liking but none of that is too far from mainstream thinking.

Its one of my issues with all the "sports drinks / energy drinks / recovery drinks" is the insulin spiking thing.

EDIT
    cnud. I'm sure you could get someone to draw you up something. However how much use it would do is a different matter

iDave
    Free Member

what is extreme about what i say TJ?

cnud, why not try what i suggest for three weeks?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No fruit at all? As many eggs as you want?
    If you get plenty of veg I don't suppose the lack of fruit really matters and I see the reasoning. Too many eggs ain't great for you from the conventional point of view.

iDave – compared to some dietary advice on here its the model of reason and sense. I didn't say it was wrong – just from my point of view a bit extreme. Restrict fruit not ban it completely and put an upper limit on eggs. Half a dozen a day won't do you much good.

iDave
    Free Member

TJ, do you anticipate anyone who is trying to lose weight eating 6 eggs a day?

and remember, one day a week you can eat whatever you want – yes, even 6 eggs and a tree of apples. this prevents a metabolism slow down

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cake? Can I live on cake one day a week? double choc cake with cream?

I now the conventional advice on eggs keeps changing but is it not 2 a week now? Cholesterol and all that

iDave
    Free Member

conventional

hardly a route i'd be wishing to follow on any aspect of life….

as i said before, i care so little, do what you want, i've said what i believe to be sound, effective and healthy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

iDave – fair enough and I was really looking for your reasoning which you gave.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

rely on people with proper qualifications – dieticians

aren't they all charlatans as well ? One week something will kill you, then next it's the best thing since sliced tofuburgers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

with a dietiticain you know they have an accedited qualification and are a member of a professional body.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist without any qualification such as McKeith

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and are a member of a professional body.

oh you mean like astrologers* economists ??

* my apologies for dissing the many astrologers of high integrity 🙁

cnud
    Free Member

Thanks for being a bit more specific with the food groups iDave, will give it a go as three weeks shouldn't be a problem.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

cut OUT fruit
    cut OUT dairy
    don't drink calories
    as many eggs also
    and lean meat

bizarre toxic fruit syndrome ? My entire diet is carbs 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

good for you simon, well done

IHN

iDave – serious question, you say cut out white carb food, so stuff like wholemeal pasta/bread is okay?

And can I have tea/white wine instead of coffee/red wine (both of which give me the trots 🙂 )

crazy-legs

cut OUT fruit
    cut OUT dairy

Certainly not, that would mean my kitchen would be empty of all food!

The only time I've ever remotely worried about diet is when I was racing properly (ie Expert level and races 2-3 times a week (road and MTB)).

iDave
    Free Member

IHN – wholemeal is out also

crazy-legs – like i say, i don't care, do what you want but i know what works and what is healthy and i'm not selling anything

LimboJimbo

Hmm, couple of things, it's dietitian not dietician. They tend to get stroppy about the American spelling thing- I know, I married one (a Dietitian, not an American). She has also opined that iDaves thoughts are mainly sound, though no doubt, he'll post again in a minute to tell us he doesn't care what anyone thinks. 😉

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Listen to iDave…he speaks the truth.
    SIMPLES! 8)

Keva
    Free Member

IHN.. yes wholemeal is best, this is the point I believe iDave is making… carbs should be as 'complex' slow releasing as possible therefore minimising energy spikes which encourage the craving to snack as the spike drops, and the production of insulin which is produced digesting sugary carbs, which in turn encourages the storage of fat. Cutting out fruit also reduces sugar intake, dairy is also high in lactose(lactase?) another 'simple' sugary carb.

I think that is right, apologies if I've confused anything ! can't comment on tea/white wine…. except use white wine to get the red wine stains out of the carpet… I think the reference coffee is that caffeine can increase metabolism(?) could be BS though, just something I've heard.

Kev

iDave
    Free Member

Keva, I'm not making the point that wholemeal is best. When have I suggested that? I just stated wholemeal is out also. This is why this threads boil my piss.

Keva
    Free Member

iDave, ok.. apologies for the misunderstanding. Could you recommend which source of carbs are preferable ?

Kev

iDave
    Free Member

get your carbs from veg, beans, lentils etc – you don't need the huge quantities that the typical modern diet gives.

Keva
    Free Member

thanks.. I hadn't read your reply saying wholemeal is out when I typed mine.

Kev

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I just stated wholemeal is out also. This is why this threads boil my piss.

the food of the Devil :o)
    I do wonder how the human race ever survived prehistoric times without nutritionalists to stop them eating dangerous yummy stuff!

iDave
    Free Member

we certainly survived a few million years without IT nerds

demands of life change, food content changes, but of course you're the expert.

what do you suggest? not that i care remember….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but of course you're the expert.
    what do you suggest? not that i care remember….

I suggest eating stuff you like, but not too much of it 🙂 One advantage of IT nerds is they don't try to stop you eating tasty foodstuffs… BTW I make no claims to 'knowledge' in this field

I care about this >< much. That will be all

apparently not 🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

cut OUT fruit
    cut OUT dairy
    don't drink calories
    as many eggs also
    and lean meat

if i followed that i wouldn't be able to do shite. it may be a great diet for all the folk who buy into what you are selling idave, buts its a dangerous thing to be suggesting folk cut out as much as you are suggesting.

Keva
    Free Member

Simon,

I doubt very much prehistoric people were concerned with weight loss !

Kev

Keva
    Free Member

Steve A… what do you believe iDave is selling ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I doubt very much prehistoric people were concerned with weight loss !

yes but very interested in running down wilderbeest and stuff requiring athletic ability!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 297 total)

The topic ‘Diet and Nutritional Advice ???’ is closed to new replies.