Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Diesel oil in petrol car tell me it's not a so bas idea?
  • juan
    Free Member

Just found a 60l containers of total rubia XT oil.
    Now I could use in saving a bit of money on the car service, but on the other hand if it's such a bad idea I'd rather not risk to kill the car.
    The way I understand it, diesel oil have detergent inside to keep the motor fairly clean from the sh1te from diesel combustion (yes mister pedant I know it's not proper combustion).
    Am I wrong to assume that the rest of the oil is going to lubricate the motor just fine?

Planning on using it on my car (old 93 peugeot 106) and maybe the motorcycle (even older poum poum poum).

Any pointers, website other than wiki gladly appreciated.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No website pointers, but providing it's got basic protection grades and is of the same weights, you'll be fine on something like an old pug (probably a TU engine).

juan
    Free Member

Well weight is 15w40 so i don't really think it's a big problem (plus I am bored of paying extra for 5w50 fully synthetic oil). I am just concern about the detergent in the oil.

Are there any marking on the drum like SF/CC or similar ?
    the first letter in each pair is for Spark ignition (petrol) or Compression ignition (diesel).
    The second letter is the "quality" of the oil. Diesels need better oil then petrols, so the C rating will always be lower than the S rating.

juan
    Free Member

graham
    I found that on the tinterweb
    let me have a look at the container
    EDIT
    Container states the same. It has an automatic gear lever on it if it's any help.

coffeeking
    Free Member

15/40 is very different to 5/50.

juan
    Free Member

Coffeking yes you are right, but both are in the manufacturer log book. Bah I won't take any risks and keep paying premium for oil. However I can quite see it running on diesel oil for a month just to flush the sh1te out of the motor.

I'll ask the bike mechanics about my SRX as it meant to run on 20W50 and the only one you find in shops is motul at 10€ a L O8

leeson
    Free Member

yo havent said how much you car is worth yet?

jemima
    Free Member

Strong liklihood that it will be fine in a '93 106 if the viscosity (weight) is accepted in the book.
    There's nothing in diesel engine oils that will be 'bad' for petrol engines. As someone said most oils have an 'S' and 'C' rating meaning they are fine for both.

PePPeR

I just buy it from my local supermarket. Juan you in France at the moment or the UK?

I buy Texaco oil from Morrisons for £10.00 for 5lt.

In France I buy oil from my local Le Clerc, and its almost the same price as in the UK, garages in both countries rip us off for the price of oil!

PePPeR

Looking here.

http://www.total.com.ng/os/content/NT0001A3A6.pdf

It says the oil is SJ so good quality. The rest of the bumpf about it being for diesels is marketing BullSh1t.

finishthat
    Free Member

If it is oil intended for heavy goods vehicles, then as long as the viscosity
    range applies to your engines , then it will be some of the best oil you can buy, lorries get excellent oil as wear or breakdown are too expensive, and the manufacturers test and approve oil .
    Quick search shows it as 15/50 or 20/50 , perfect

juan
    Free Member

Thanks all. I know my dad wouldn't have keep something that would have crap the car (we only owned petrol car). I think that for the summer in the south of France 15W40 will be just as good as 5W40.

Yeah 32 € saved 😀

Trekster

Mate used to use diesel oil in his M1 Mexico for rallying. The engine when stripped was really, really clean inside!! We used to strip it every now and then and measure bearing/shafts and there was never any wear over a 3yr period.

Just change it and the filter more often, the scavenging effect of the detergents could clean a lot of internal carbonised oil from within an old engine. If it starts to rattle on start up then you know there is a problem!! Use a quality oil filter btw. Another mate had a Pug and fitted a cheap filter, wrecked the cam bearings within a month.

zaskar
    Free Member

You found oil Juan?

Wasn't off the coast of USA by any chance? 😈

Normally Diesel oil has additives for cleaning but should be ok if the viscosity (w) matches the engine.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Diesel oil in petrol car tell me it's not a so bas idea?’ is closed to new replies.