Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Diesel in petrol
  • Premier Icon wwpaddler
    Free Member

My partner’s car is virtually empty and she’s added 7 litres of diesel. Will she be ok if she fills the rest of the tank with petrol? It’s a Sportage 1.6 petrol from 2018.

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis

No idea but getting someone to remove it would cost say £150…I’d go with that…in fact I did although that was petrol in a diesel which is the less badder one I think (don’t quote me ask someone who knows)

Premier Icon dc1988

I thought you couldn’t put diesel in a petrol as petrol has a narrower nozzle so the diesel one shouldn’t even fit

Premier Icon dyna-ti

In before lock 😀

Premier Icon butcher

I thought you couldn’t put diesel in a petrol as petrol has a narrower nozzle so the diesel one shouldn’t even fit

It’s possible. I’ve done it before. Unfamiliar garage, I thought the super branded diesel was super unleaded…

Filled about the same amount, and panicked a bit before filling the rest with petrol. It ran a bit rough, and there was some pinking under load. I just took it easy until I’d put a couple of tanks through.

Premier Icon Greybeard

I think you can get away with a small percentage of diesel, but 7 litres is probably pushing it. Certainly don’t attempt to start the engine.

Premier Icon wwpaddler
    Free Member

Panic over. Engine not started and car pushed into nearby car park. The lovely people at Autoaid cover misfuelling by your spouse as standard as part of their breakdown cover so are going to send a nice person to pump out the fuel, clean everything that needs cleaning and add 10litres of beautiful petrol. Only got to wait 4 hours.

Apparently this is my fault for being nice and filling the car for the last few months!!

Premier Icon Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I’m glad you sorted. I know some breakdown providers will cover misfuelling incidents as a breakdown.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.