Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Diesel additives, Redex and that, talk to me
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

The most awesome car in the world..the Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti exclusiv (no ‘e’ on the end, it’s that furking exclusive!).. is not as smooth as when we first got it.
    The EGR valve has been cleaned a few times and it’s carbon-gunk central inside. I’m guessing the rest of the guts are similar. Would running some Redex through help? It’s done 77k.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

In my experience, it won’t make any difference. The carbon build up is on the inlet manifold (i.e. its just air flowing through) and so on, so other than taking it to bits theres not much you can do. i think.

I’ve seen stuff like this which i assume you’re supposed to spray inside, but guess it’s probably similar to the clutch cleaning stuff reccomended for cleaning the EGR valve?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/JLM-Valve-Diesel-Intake-Cleaner/dp/B005Y0KGOQ/ref=pd_cp_auto_0

I assume you’ve given it a good thrashing? 😉

killwillforchips
    Free Member

They don’t work. Simple.

Add a little ipa in winter to stop geling. Otherwise fill yuh boots spend your money and waste your time!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Murray

Shell Ultimate works out the same price as Redex. That and an Italian tune.

craigxxl
    Free Member

BG244 actually does work. Longer you leave it in the fuel system the better job it does. When you add it to tank and fill up let it get down to 1/4 of a tank a refill. It’s not cheap but it is effective.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

EGR valve will clog up / seize up / go faulty on every diesel car/van it’s even worse on the latest euro 4/5 cars also particle filters will block for fun . It’s just one of those things and is cause by emission laws . Worse on cars driven gentle and round town .

Grimy
    Free Member

A 1.9 CDTI Vectra you say. I fear the worst. Needless to say I doubt a bottle of redex will do anything to help. Odds are very very likely the manifolds 50% + blocked with an oily carbon crud, and the swirl flaps arnt far from stuck, or just plain broke as the linkage snaps when they get jammed by the gunk. The usual remedy is a new intake manifold, as they cant be repaired, which requires the cambelt removing to change. £1200 later it will be like new…..for a year or two. Have a nosey over at vectra-c.com and search from 1.9 cdti swirl valves or EGR etc. Personally i’d just get rid of it now.

adilc123
    Free Member

Only way to stop it is, change the inlet manifold, blank off the egr valve and remap the ecu.

Adil.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Try some Miller Diesel eco max about £12.00 a hit from halfords for 10 tank fulls

I used it in my Diesel Picasso and did a 500mile run, it says on the bottle after 200 miles you should notice a differance and yes I did I felt at speed there was no need to shout at the wife 😮 the engine was ALOT quieter

And to top it off I recon it is worth 4mpg in better fuel consumption for me it’s a winner and my car has done 130k

I tried redex and tbh it did nothing for me

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_370465_langId_-1_categoryId_255221

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I run a bottle of redex through mine every summer when I do the road trip thing. Not sure if it makes any difference but it doesn’t do it any harm.

popstar
    Free Member

+1 for Millers.
    If not, then Shell V-Power as second best.

It does work.

For more specific cleaning / lubing treatments you could choose Forte products. Speak to your local mot garages and ask about Forte, you may be surprised.

Never heard anything positive about redex on car forums though.

chewkw
    Free Member

Just add about 400ml of 2T Marine motor oil to your diesel will clean out the junk …

I add about 300ml of 2T motor oil (will switch to marine motor oil vice vice from time to time) to a full tank Petrol 1.6 Toyota.

carbon337
    Free Member

Is it the 150 ? Zx19dth engine 16v engine is a nasty piece of works.

My zafira has been a nightmare

3 alternators
    3 Egr
    1 new inlet manifold yep swirl flaps
    1 dual mass flywheel

55 plate 77k

When it works its champion , torquey fast great for going tho road races in.

Apparently the fiat block is great and no problem. The problem comes from all the additions to get the power whilst maintaining efficiency. Also the higher HP use an oil with a higher moisture content causing the carbon buildup.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Diesel additives, Redex and that, talk to me’ is closed to new replies.