Did you know apple pips contain cyanide ?

Home Forum Chat Forum Did you know apple pips contain cyanide ?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Did you know apple pips contain cyanide ?
  • Did you know apple pips contain cyanide ?

No nor did I until the wealth of useless information at work told me !

Only small amounts…

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

yes, as kids we were never quite sure if we’d die from the tree growing inside us or the cyanide if we swallowed a pip.

I still distrust apples.

cynic-al

You don’t need much…

Premier Icon annebr
    Subscriber

yes, it’s been used as a murder weapon in a few fiction books I’ve read.

steve-g

and bananas are radioactive!!

allthepies

Yes, crush one and smell it. Whiff of almonds == cyanide.

You’d need to eat a lot of crushed apple pips though 🙂

cynic-al

A kilo of dried seeds Yahoo answers says.

Even I’m not that greedy.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Whiff of almonds == cyanide.

either that or crushed apple pips is where they get marzipan from.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I love marzipan. Am I dying?

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

I seem to remember tales of Somerset farm workers going blind as they were paid in scrumpy that contained enough cyanide to damage their eyesight. Suspect that thus is just a rural urban myth.

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

slowoldman, yes.

EDIT: LOL, vvv that reminds me of a rather messy night where we tested the nutmeg idea, FAIL!

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Nutmeg is a powerful hallucinogen too, but you need to really like nutmeg

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

And you get 1000 times more radiation from eating Brazil nuts than from any other food (apart from what you buy from a chernobyl fruit n’ veg stall)

bencooper

Heroin is pretty more-ish.

And in certain parts of Glasgow, easier to find than an apple too.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

and why all the bogs in Tesco/Morrisons have blue lighting

sunnrider

Castor seeds contain ricin. Less than a dozen to put your lights out, and added to a curry you wouldn´t even notice.

mrmo

and peach stones also contain cyanide.

I guess but don’t know that most rosacea contain cyanide in the seeds.

Foxgloves contain digitalin, Rhubarb leaves will kill you but the stems won’t

Premier Icon annebr
    Subscriber

andytherocketeer – Member

[/quote]

Blue lighting is supposed to make it difficult for druggies to find a vein. So they can’t shoot up on the bogs.

?

[edit] explained above

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

I seem to remember tales of Somerset farm workers going blind as they were paid in scrumpy that contained enough cyanide to damage their eyesight. Suspect that thus is just a rural urban myth.

I thought the link between cider and blindness was the traditional practice of putting lead in it to improve the flavour

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

I thought the link between cider and blindness was the traditional practice of putting lead in it to improve the flavour

Ahh good old lead, tasty but deadly

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

hence the expression;

You can take a horse to water but cider must be lead?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

A pint of heavy.

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

Cyanide occurs naturally in the soil, often at levels higher than recommended limits. This frequently adds significant cost to construction developments.

Those green field sites aint so green underneath.

rocketman

Have been eating whole apples inc pips and core since I was a teenager and now you’re telling me there’s cyanide in them?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

If you smash up bracken leaves it mixes up two chemicals that react to produce cyanide. That’s why it covers moorland, sheep can’t eat it.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Some eccentric old duffer died from a snack of fresh apple pips, he didn’t like the flesh and the apple he chose had enough pips for a deadly fix.

nicko74

The link between scrumpy and blindness I thought was methanol – causes blindness and/ or death.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Looks like I was wrong about the scrumpy then….

fuzzhead

I found out about the apple pips and cyanide thing recently when googling food to feed my son’s hamster. Apple pips would have been a big problem for the little furry guy (hamster, not son).

twinw4ll

When i worked in the jewellery quarter, the owner of another company went in to work dropped a spoonful of cyanide into a cup of water drank it and instantly dropped down dead.
    The company was in dire financial straights after a catalog company returned a large contract in the downturn of the 90’s.
    Cyanide is commonly used in the stripping process of precious metals.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

hence the expression;

You can take a horse to water but cider must be lead?

I though the expression was “don’t shoot the horse until the gate is bolted”

CountZero

Every part of the Yew tree is toxic, including bark, leaves, seeds, etc., except for the red juicy bit, the aril, around the seed.

The arils are mature 6 to 9 months after pollination, and with the seed contained are eaten by thrushes, waxwings and other birds, which disperse the hard seeds undamaged in their droppings; maturation of the arils is spread over 2 to 3 months, increasing the chances of successful seed dispersal. The seeds themselves are extremely poisonous and bitter, but are opened and eaten by some bird species including Hawfinches[5] Greenfinches and Great Tits.[6] The aril is not poisonous, and is gelatinous and very sweet tasting.

The trick is to get the seed out of the aril without swallowing it, it’s very slimy, apparently.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Did you know apple pips contain cyanide ?’ is closed to new replies.